This forgotten bucket of compost rotted for over a year

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
5 gallon bucket, full of vegetable scraps from the kitchen and coffee grinds and fruit scraps… have a nice tight lid on it… But I totally forgot about it. Left it way in the back of the yard when I open it today to see what was in it…. It smells so bad. I had to hold my breath and I’m not sure what I should do with it now should I dump in my compost heap and stink up the whole neighborhood? Should I just place the whole bucket lid and all into my trash bin? Should I dump it in the drainage ditch on the side of the road? Halp! Is it may be toxic or as it may be awesome and I should pour it on my garden? It smells so bad though…

Attachments

• B8445A45-F013-4256-B1CD-3D92F8327BBF.jpeg
    B8445A45-F013-4256-B1CD-3D92F8327BBF.jpeg
    592.1 KB · Views: 37
Unless you notice a poisonous fungus or something, i think it would actually be very good for your garden! Try mixing it first though, and maybe listen to a couple other people's opinions first!
Lol I’m not sure what does a poisonous fungus look like .. 😱

Dump it in the trash.
Being sealed in a bucket you created a low oxygen environment that is an ideal environment for anaerobic bacteria to thrive in. Anaerobic bacteria are the bacteria that you don't want in your compost or soil and will start killing out the aerobic bacteria.

The bacteria that you want in your compost and your soil is an aerobic bacteria that grows in a high oxygen environment like when you turn your compost pile or aerate a compost tea.

Dump it in the trash.
Being sealed in a bucket you created a low oxygen environment that is an ideal environment for anaerobic bacteria to thrive in. Anaerobic bacteria are the bacteria that you don't want in your compost or soil and will start killing out the aerobic bacteria.

The bacteria that you want in your compost and your soil is an aerobic bacteria that grows in a high oxygen environment like when you turn your compost pile or aerate a compost tea.
The trash man just picked it up 👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom