This forum has been much different lately.

Pics
I know about sick birds because I work in a veterinary practice. See lots of sick birds, chickens, ostriches (those things kick worse than a horse), parrots and so forth. Go volunteer at an animal sanctuary and you will learn lots about sick exotic animals. There are many ways to see ailing animals and gain experience on how to deal with them.
I raise chickens and zero exotics or other birds. I am also not interested in treating a sick chicken. If I can’t fix it at home I’m putting them down.
Can you elaborate on what kinds of ailments you’ve treated/cured relating to chickens?

I raise chickens and zero exotics or other birds. I am also not interested in treating a sick chicken. If I can’t fix it at home I’m putting them down.
Can you elaborate on what kinds of ailments you’ve treated/cured relating to chickens?
Many people won't go to extreme when dealing with an ill chicken. Most will cull and move on to healthy birds. However, there are a number of people who consider their backyard flock family pets and will go the extra mile to treat a sick bird. I've seen hens who have had their ovaries removed and do well. I've seen a scissor beak chick have surgery and returned to a normal life. I've seen quite a few crop surgeries and egg bound hens who went home after treatment cackling happily. I had a round of bumble foot in my own flock this winter due to the enormous amount of rain. I treated them the same way I treat thrush in a horse and they are all doing well. I'm really pushing for veterinarians to learn how to caponize cockerels to help the owners who have those 'surprises'. Though many folks scoff at the idea of doing surgery on poultry I find it uplifting that someone cares deeply enough to go the extra mile for a chicken. At the same time I have respect for those who will not allow their flock to suffer and humanely end a life.

Many people won't go to extreme when dealing with an ill chicken. Most will cull and move on to healthy birds. However, there are a number of people who consider their backyard flock family pets and will go the extra mile to treat a sick bird. I've seen hens who have had their ovaries removed and do well. I've seen a scissor beak chick have surgery and returned to a normal life. I've seen quite a few crop surgeries and egg bound hens who went home after treatment cackling happily. I had a round of bumble foot in my own flock this winter due to the enormous amount of rain. I treated them the same way I treat thrush in a horse and they are all doing well. I'm really pushing for veterinarians to learn how to caponize cockerels to help the owners who have those 'surprises'. Though many folks scoff at the idea of doing surgery on poultry I find it uplifting that someone cares deeply enough to go the extra mile for a chicken. At the same time I have respect for those who will not allow their flock to suffer and humanely end a life.
No most people will not take their chickens to the vet. It may seem like a lot of people do but those are just a tiny fraction of chickens that become ill or injured beyond repair. I don’t begrudge anyone for taking their chickens to the vet if they want to shell out the money for elaborate surgeries that don’t always leave the bird with the best chance of survival.
There’s a lot of chicken issues that can be handled at home (gasp) without medicine or anesthesia. The new age of people raising chickens are making it seem like you have to be rich to care for them properly when in reality most dont need more than a few very basic items for treating most problems.

I know every vets office is different but my cousins wife is a vet and I talk to her fairly often. I have heard quite a few stories and inquired about costs for various treatments, surgeries etc.. It’s a racket and half in most cases. The average chicken owner is capable of handling the majority of issues without taking their birds to a vet so they can *learn* on them.

No most people will not take their chickens to the vet.
Agree. There are people raising chickens who won't go to the doctor's themself because it's too expensive. No way are they going to take a $5 hen in for a $300 procedure that isn't guaranteed to fix the problem anyway. The reason most vets won't touch birds isn't because they're hard, it's because there isn't nearly as much money in it as there is in dogs and cats. Or even in big livestock.

Agree. There are people raising chickens who won't go to the doctor's themself because it's too expensive. No way are they going to take a $5 hen in for a $300 procedure that isn't guaranteed to fix the problem anyway. The reason most vets won't touch birds isn't because they're hard, it's because there isn't nearly as much money in it as there is in dogs and cats. Or even in big livestock.
Chickens have very few *curable* diseases and most of what they get taken to the vet for is run of the mill ridiculous stuff. Cutting spurs, draining fluid, bumble foot, minor cuts etc.. of course some can be helped at a vet so I’m not disputing that but the vast majority are ripping people off.
Even the vet shows on tv are a joke. Putting a rooster under anesthesia to cut spurs with a dremel only for the bird to die. It’s insane. I’ve never lost a bird from cutting spurs or dubbing the combs and wattles. I’ve stitched a few back together too from injuries after a fox or raccoon munched them. I have the necessary antibiotics to treat (injuries only) and never treat sick birds of which I’ve had very few of. Better breeding takes the place of doctoring chickens.

I'm telling ya, that ignore button is a game changer.... though it may become somewhat addictive. ;)
The unfortunate thing is that if we ignore certain people, like the one I'm thinking about who just opened a new emergency thread that didn't constitute an emergency in my opinion, it may be like the boy who cried wolf and I/we won't see their threads on real issues. However, it seems like they did get answered by some people today anyway so......

Back
Top Bottom