This forum has been much different lately.

Sad but, this is the most interesting thread so far.
I've said hi on other chat threads and no one is interested in meeting new people I guess.

Back to the nursery rhymes for a second. Some historians believe that these circle games were a clever way the teens of the time used to get around the prohibition on dancing.
Hi Jory, nice to meet you.

Come to the BYC café any time, there is always someone nice to chat with

FYI: We're reading and reviewing all the feedback in this thread. We're especially thankful for those that are providing feedback in a helpful, friendly, and supportive tone with as much specific details and examples as possible.

We're definitely not perfect, but we've got over 50 years of combined experience managing and moderating online discussion forums and communities, and will continue to run things in a way that we feel is best for our community as a whole.

Of course, we know it's impossible to please all people all the time, but we do our best :D

That said, we can feel pretty dang confident in the unbiased jobs we're doing when "all sides" of a perspective are saying we're biased towards the other side ;)

To reiterate, we know we're not perfect. We know we make mistakes... but we've also seen hundreds (probably thousands) of posts over the past 15 years (even since day #1 of starting BYC) that our actions are going to be the death of this community.

... and at least at the time of this post, we're still alive and kicking.

Jimmy Fallon Singing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

200.gif

FYI: We're reading and reviewing all the feedback in this thread. We're especially thankful for those that are providing feedback in a helpful, friendly, and supportive tone with as much specific details and examples as possible.

We're definitely not perfect, but we've got over 50 years of combined experience managing and moderating online discussion forums and communities, and will continue to run things in a way that we feel is best for our community as a whole.

Of course, we know it's impossible to please all people all the time, but we do our best :D

That said, we can feel pretty dang confident in the unbiased jobs we're doing when "all sides" of a perspective are saying we're biased towards the other side ;)

To reiterate, we know we're not perfect. We know we make mistakes... but we've also seen hundreds (probably thousands) of posts over the past 15 years (even since day #1 of starting BYC) that our actions are going to be the death of this community.

... and at least at the time of this post, we're still alive and kicking.

Jimmy Fallon Singing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

200.gif
Been a while since I’ve seen you on “this side of the curtain” Dude!

we have all had a wild ride the last 15+ months.

anxiety has been rampant worldwide!

/End of line.

Sad but, this is the most interesting thread so far.
I've said hi on other chat threads and no one is interested in meeting new people I guess.

Back to the nursery rhymes for a second. Some historians believe that these circle games were a clever way the teens of the time used to get around the prohibition on dancing.
Hi Jory. Nice to meet you. So you like chickens? Hehe

I dropped facebook and spend more time on here. At least we all like chickens on here.
I live in KY where you from?

Hi Jory. Nice to meet you. So you like chickens? Hehe

I dropped facebook and spend more time on here. At least we all like chickens on here.
I live in KY where you from?

I do like chickens, I also have goats, sheep, and dogs.
I live in the southern willamette valley of Oregon.
Everything on this little place must pull it's weight though. The animals are food producers, compost makers, comfort givers, protection, rodent killers, and mowing machines.

I do like chickens, I also have goats, sheep, and dogs.
I live in the southern willamette valley of Oregon.
Everything on this little place must pull it's weight though. The animals are food producers, compost makers, comfort givers, protection, rodent killers, and mowing machines.
I've just got chickens & dogs. Did have quail but before vacation they all went to freezer camp. Dogs. A Shephard mix trixie that runs off the foxes & keeps the bunnies on the run and the pug Mater..... his only purpose is entertainment. Other than my pug Mater I'd say we are like minded. Haha

Chickens have the normal duties here. Compost, entertainment, pet, eggs, and occasionally to sell. Then there's freezer camp. I don't buy chicken at the store. Beef & pork is from a local farmer. Fish I catch them and the occasional wild game. And our garden. The goal is healthy food raised and dispatched ethically.

History time, folks! Gather 'round!

The original story is that "Ring Around the Rosie" was a nursery rhyme invented during the Black Plague of the 13th century, with the lyrics ascribed:

This is said to refer to the counting of Rosary beads.

At the time of the Black Plague, people were of the belief that smells were what caused the spreading of the plague. This line is supposed to refer to children keeping sweet-smelling flowers in their pockets so that they won't smell the "bad smells" and catch the plague.

This is supposed to refer to the burning of plague victims' homes in an effort to stop the spread. Some versions replace this with "achoo," supposedly to signify the sneezing of the plague victims.

This is supposed to refer to the amount of people left dying in the streets and falling over due to weakness and famine.

The funny thing is, that's not the story at all! The earliest reference to the "Ring Around the Rosie" game we know of is from Kate Greenaway’s Mother Goose or The Old Nursery Rhymes, which was printed in 1881 -- a full five hundred years after the Black Plague swept Europe (and a little over 200 years after the London Plague!)

There's also multiple different versions of the original song published around the same time as the first 1881 publication!

This publication was from William Wells Newell in 1883, and the following was published in Charlotte Sophia Burne’s Shropshire Folk-Lore, also from 1883.

It's overall just a children's game that people added a history to in order to make it more interesting, even though the history isn't necessarily true. ;)
As a child, I had a version that went:
"Ring around the rosie,
A jump-up full a' posies
Meteors, meteors
We all get blown up
Whee!
"

... Yes, I was a strange child. Heck, I'm still strange now, but my strangeness leans more towards clucking and talking bird and less towards morbidly manipulated nursery rhymes that tell of people getting blown up by meteors.
Ah, to be an innocent spring lamb of a child.

Back
Top Bottom