This hen just appeared in out yard...

Luclin999

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 2, 2009
Houston, Texas
My wife and I know ZERO about raising chickens but last Saturday we found this bird in our yard...

chicken2.jpg

Any idea what type of chicken it is?

Wild Game, looks like a red jungle fowl. They are pretty flighty,, but they are gret layers and GOOD moms. This one is a hen.

Try to lure her with grain or soemthing. some of them like bread.

The longer you can keep her coming back the better chance you will have of catching her, but they are hard to catch !!

I think that she was already raised around people as she will let me get as close as a foot or two away before starting to spook and earlier this evening she was willing to eat some chicken feed straight out of a bowl I was holding.

red game , hen ,, i have her twin in with my black grey game.
they are great layers, and make the BEST mommies
wink.png

and if she lets you near her,, she has definitly been around people alot,, ya dont get near mine till she's broody,, then your VERY careful not ta make her mad
hmm.png

lol.png

And since chicken is often nature's snack. If you can't find her home, might as well make her one that is secure from preds and get some friends for her!

Here I am assuming though you live in the US, and not in florida or HI where "wild" or "feral" chickens can actually live out in the wild.

She looks like my game hen.Mine was jumpy to start with,but after a couple of days,she became real friendly.She would jump on my knee for a treat.They really are great devoted mothers and good layers.Mine is about three years old,hatched out two clutches of eggs and she never lost a chick to a predator.She didn't mind if I picked up her chicks,but when someone else came by them,she would jump into the fence all fluffed up.

She's a beauty --- why don't critters like that ever wander through MY yard?
hu.gif
The latest thing we've had wander (actually, it wasn't a wander, it was more of a mad dash) was a horse that had escaped from his pen... couldn't get within a 1/4 mile of the critter before it took off again... I hope his owner got him back in the pen!

Back
Top Bottom