This is a hen right?! 😂

I have the same problem. 8 months old .... no crowing or eggs but far more comb and wattles than the layers.
20200703_092538.jpg

Definitely a pullet. You said 6 months old? A cockerel would have long, thin, sharply pointed, shiny saddle feathers by now. And male pea combs are usually 2-3 times as large as your girl's. An EE cockerel with that coloring would have dark red on he wings.
EE hens get some crazy long feathers in the saddle area, so it can be confusing, but they are not pointed.

This is a much younger bird with similar coloring. On this cockerel you can see the dark red on the wings and the cream colored saddle feathers at the base of the tail.
Yours is a girl!

1594437862211.png

" Today I caught her fighting and mounting my other hen. " Watch that bird and keep an eye on it. It is either actually a rooster, or worse, a hermaphrodite hen. Not common but I had one. A Cream Legbar. Was beating up the other hens and mounting them like a rooster. It made sounds that were not a "crow" but not hen sounds either. Never laid eggs that I know of. I finally killed it and buried it. The rest of the hens were a lot happier for it.

I think it’s a hen, it’s hard to tell, but if it were a roo, it would likely be crowing. Some hens are just later to lay. The mounting can just be aggressive dominance, make sure she isn’t bullying the others.

Also, her checking out the nest boxes is a sure sign she’s getting very ready to lay.

Last edited:
please tell me this is a hen LOL. I bought them from a store, probably a month ago now. 1 was laying when I got her, the other one started letting about two weeks ago. This specific "hen" is not laying yet. She goes in the nesting box every day, but doesn't lay anything. Today I caught her fighting and mounting my other hen. They probably are around six months, I think they have just started laying. This hen is the loudest, yelling in the morning, but not crowing. I just wanted to double-check that it is in fact a hen and not a young rooster. They're supposedly americana's, they have cheek Puffs and a beard. This one has a middle part on top of its head.
Looks like a hen to me

I have the same problem. 8 months old .... no crowing or eggs but far more comb and wattles than the layers.
View attachment 2237782
I‘ don’t say that’s a hen. She is very late to lay though, especially for a leghorn. By now if she was a roo she's be crowing and would have hackle and saddle feathers. It is rare, but some hens just don’t lay. Not sure if it’s that way r if she’s just very late. You can feel her laying bones, that’ll confirm. (Two bones on either side of the vent. If there is a large gap, it’s a female)

Back
Top Bottom