this is awful!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kshe95girl, May 8, 2009.

1. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    seems like they could give them away

2. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    that makes me soo sad! [​IMG] sure they are non-native but they are still animals. couldn't a wildlife rehab center take them? the one here takes everything from domesticated spruce hen to Bengal cats to reindeer.

and yeah i'm sure they could just catch them and give them away. most of the ducks i have are rather feral but still stay in the yard.

3. WMDAVIS99

WMDAVIS99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    We had a similar thing happen up our way. A small park with a pond was taken over by Muscovies. The township asked if anyone wanted them, if nobody took them, they would catch and euthanize them. Some local farmer came forward and acccepted the Ducks to live on his farm and in his pond.

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    just shake the flipping eggs to destroy the embryos and put them back in the nest . this way the ducks keep on sitting and dont lay new eggs. Or put birth control feed out for them. They will see a huge amount of mosquitos after the ducks are gone an no ducks there to eat them.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  5. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    how do they plan on destroying that many birds any ways?

6. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    We had a ton of muscovy in Sarasota (when we lived there) some people seemed to go out of their way to kill them. We had a few at the apartments lake that used to follow us around. I loved them and plan to add some to my mini farm.

It's a shame that some local farms could take some and raise for food and eggs.

7. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    Aww. That is sad. I understand that, like the deer around here, that too many can damage the ecosystem. Wouldn't it be more cost effective to gather the ducks and sell them to farmers and gain profit, rather then spend money to kill them? Just a thought [​IMG]

8. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Sorry to say 200 muscovy ducks could feed alot of people! I hate that they need to kill them, but on the other hand they could feed hungry people and they would think they were eating a gourmet meal!
    Let alone the eggs couls feed a lot of people!

9. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    Thats what happens when you destroy the predators. Wolves the most misunderstood, BUT needed!!!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by