This is coccidiosis, right? (warning: contains image of poop)

GardenTeacher

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 14, 2014
Chicken friends!

Just found this on my droppings board. Just one looked like this. Not sure which chicken it came from...

It's coccidiosis, right? I just want someone to confirm before I start treatment. I'm neurotic!

Not necessarily.

Chicken do shed the lining of their intestines, and it can LOOK like coccidiosis. Coral-colored urates are perfectly normal and appear in "overnight" droppings.

Are any of your chickens showing signs of droopiness/listlessness, loss of appetite, pale combs/wattles, ruffled feathers, huddling or acting chilled, or diarrhea?

I'd keep an eye out and monitor their behavior. Hunching is a pretty good indication that something is awry.

It's a good idea to take note of which chickens roost where when you lock the coop up at night. They usually have their "spot" and stick to it. :)

MrsB

PS - Here are some photos of "coral urates" that AREN'T coccidiosis.

Chickens are tricksy beasties.

Last edited:
Chicken friends!

Just found this on my droppings board. Just one looked like this. Not sure which chicken it came from...

It's coccidiosis, right? I just want someone to confirm before I start treatment. I'm neurotic!
Some might say that it's just shed intestinal lining, but when I see more than one I de-worm with Safeguard and/or treat for coccidiosis. How old are the birds and have they ever been wormed?

-Kathy

They are 8 months old. One has decided to molt (in the middle of a NY cold spell) but other than that, they seem pretty normal! And they've never really been wormed before.

You could give them some Corid, that won't hurt. Can you buy some Valbazen wormer? Here is a Corid dose picture:

FWIW, I always assume severe and treat as such.

Valbazen dose would be 0.08ml per pound orally and repeat in ten days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I agree with Kathy. It's always, always better to err on the safe side and treat to rule out coccidiosis. If by chance that bird is maybe brewing a case it's much easier treated sooner then later when it is more advanced. The farther along it gets the less chance you have of saving the bird. Corid is such a safe medication, you just can't go wrong by running a course of treatment, even if this didn't turn out to be coccidiosis.

What's the ratio of corid to water? 1stp of corid liquid per how much water?
Did you not see the picture? It says all doses are per US Gallon.
big_smile.png

Liquid dose is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon per gallon for 5-7 days.

-Kathy

Some might say that it's just shed intestinal lining, but when I see more than one I de-worm with Safeguard and/or treat for coccidiosis. How old are the birds and have they ever been wormed?

-Kathy

Yes. If there are multiple instances of bloody poops, definitely.

I get one every now and again, and as long as my birds are acting okay, I usually leave them be.

I do have Corid and Valbazen on standby... Just in case. >.>

MrsB

Back
Top Bottom