THIS IS IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :somad

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by awesomefowl, Oct 31, 2010.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I have had it with bloodied combs, wattles, and ears. I am getting rid of Pepper. He keeps attacking Cinnamon, and attacking my sister. he got Cinnamon's eyelids, ear, BOTH wattles, and comb super bloody. I have cleaned him (and Pepper) many times but no more. He has got to go!!!
    Pepper is a Split Lav Silkie, [​IMG] 5months old though....should I keep him? Is this just a 'teenager' thing??? I am sick of mean cockerels! [​IMG]

I don't think I can butcher him though (I paid ten dollars for him) so I'm going to offer him for free here on BYC and locally.
    Anybody?

2. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Ugh, I am sorry.

No, I would not butcher him, as he is a pretty desireable type of bird I would think.

Maybe he'll do better in a flock with more space (I don't know how much he has currently) or with other, more assertive roos. I would love to have a silkie roo, but, I don't know how well he'd do in my flock of B.O.'s!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  3. awesomefowl

They are both aggresive. (the roos) and they free range the whole HUGE backyard, which has many trees, dustbathing spots, and places to hide. Plus there are two girls for them, and when the girls were inside, they were still fighting. What is up???!??!? they have always done this (fought).
    And now Cins is so beat up and bloody.
    I just hate to break up the 'Spice Cabinet' (Nutmeg, Salt, Cinnamon, Pepper).

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I would butcher him, if you sell him you are just passing the problem on to someone else.

5. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:You have two roos and two hens, your roo to hen ratio is way out of whack.

Get more hens even if you get rid of one of your roos.

6. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    i agree with theFox. you need way more hens, 10-15 per rooster at least

7. awesomefowl

But I have 5 8 month old layers and two young pullets there too. The 'big girls' don't pay any attention to, and abuse the Silkies.

8. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    YOU NEED MORE HENS! At LEAST 5 per rooster. They are fighting for dominence and hens.

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    The silkie roos are going to fight each other until they each get their own flock of hens or one of the roos is killed.

You need to give them enough hens (of their own kind) for each to establish a separate flock.

Otherwise you'll have a nasty time or a dead roo, and likely very abused silkie hens.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  10. awesomefowl

I am going ot get rid of one. Thank you for the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by