1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This is probably a silly question....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TateLewis, Oct 7, 2016.

1. TateLewis

TateLewis Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2016
    Has anyone ever bought bird supplies, like the toys/treats for parrots/parakeets/etc, to their chickens? Can they have that stuff too?

Like I said it's probably silly but I didn't want to buy something to find out that it could make my girls sick.

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I wouldn't buy treats probably since the nutritional needs of each type of animal is different, but I have browsed the pet bird and small animals sections when looking for stuff for my chickens (also for my rats, there's literally no toys or anything marketed to rat owners so I have to get creative). So far I've only bought some feed cups for grit but some of the toys might be, like mirrors. Since chickens are much larger than most pet birds short of a parrot, most of the stuff just isn't big enough to suit them.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Chickens really do not play with toys....Pet bird seed is not nutritional for chickens...
    You could hang a cucumber, corn cob, cabbage or other veggies so they peck at it as is swings...
    Treats should be 5% of daily ration...

Cheers!

4. TateLewis

TateLewis Just Hatched

Aug 31, 2016
    Thanks! I was just wondering because with winter coming where I live, some days it gets so cold we leave the girls shut in the coop and I don't want them getting bored and pecking each other or something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by