this is ridiculous, help? their running around continously like something is trying to kill them(emergency)

Putting them out in the coup seems to have worked good, they've been out there for about 8 hours now and seem happy as clams. They come out of the house to bop around the hay then head back in to warm up and eat. hopfully they handle the cold ok, they do have all their feathers, with the last little bits on their heads still to come in. they were all camped out in the heated section once the sun went down. the moniter iv got is regestering 50 degrees. its a about a foot and a half from the lamp so they've got a hot spot of at least 70ish. everyone was much calmer and seemed curious and happy. hopefully things stay that way.

With some more flighty chicken breeds I've noticed if you raise the brooder up where your more on their level they are usually more calm.
I bought quail from two different guys and the quail that got raised in a reach in the side brooder that sat about the height of a kitchen table are much more calm.

A used tire makes an interesting hidey hole and out-of-sight-from-bullies spot. They can hide in it and behind it. You can also lay a nice fat bit of plastic pipe under one side of the tire that's big enough around for your birds to travel through it too. Flip the tire and move it every few days to empty water and allow them to enjoy any bugs that were enjoying the tire too :) Having an overabundance of cocks in your covey will also cause the type of behavior you were describing, fighting among the boys, and over-mating of the girls.

im pretty sure iv got two males and five females. which is probably the best ratio i could have hoped for with only having 7. ill try to get ahold of a few more females in the spring. im not sure about the one being male though. its an Italian but its a very, almost light amber colored, over its whole body but the color darkens just a hair on the chest. it looks like a very pale version of the rust red breast of the pharaohs. he also will streach out as tall as he can and crow. (I'm reasonably certain hes crowing, sounds like a broken squeaky toy)

the others (excepting the pharaoh that's pretty obvious) don't really make much noise, just sorta cooing and cheeping softly.

everyone was good this morning. the coup maintained a temp of 50 degrees all night. when i checked on them this morning one was outside in the hay and the others were inside. they were huddled up together, but not right under the lamp. they were along the walls. so cold but no too cold id think?

although they ate an amazing amount of food last night. im gonna have to buy bigger bag if there going to eat that much every day. my local farm and fleet only carry's small bags of game-bird feed. 24% id like something higher % but its all they have other then 16% chicken feed. anyone have a good website i could order from for bigger bags?

or a way to make chicken feed sufficient?

also i dont have any tires, but i can get some good PCV pipe for them to hide in

Back
Top Bottom