This is the only space i have, is it going to be enough ?

Quote:
Thanks Dave

If i gave them perches which stepped up near the top say 2. 3. 4ft would they use them ?

If you are indeed in the UK then I think it will work fine. Make it good and predator proof, which means ensuring no digging under the run, perhaps with a skirt about 18" wide of hardware cloth extending out into the grass (you'll be able to mow over it soon enough.) In that climate you don't ever need to lock them in the coop - this is almost never necessary just for weather, except in extreme climates. If I were going to build this I would make the run predator proof and never close the coop.

Yes, light is only to increase egg production for the short day part of the year. Not at all a necessity. Again, in the UK (and nearly all of the US) you do not need to provide heat for grown birds. Really.

One of the most difficult parts of building a small, short coop is providing enough ventilation without creating a draft on the roosting birds. Basically it needs to be a hole in the top of the roof which is weatherproof -- you see what I mean. If you build it with a slanted roof and place things right, the vent can be under the roof, on the wall, on the high side. Probably needs to be the width of the wall and maybe 4" tall -- I hesitate to type that because every coop is different.

Perches and other things to jump on or climb up are great in runs. You might find that a sand run would work best for ease of cleaning and odor control. Also gives them a great place to dust bathe.

My biggest concern is not 4 different breeds but not raising them together. If power would not be too difficult, perhaps the solution is to reconsider raising chicks and do so in the coop. Even if you bought 4 older birds of the same breed, but from more than one flock, you are going to have integration issues, and these can get ugly fast. Usual recommendations for adding new birds include things like housing them separately but next to each other for a matter of weeks. If I were in your position I would limit myself to either buying day olds or buying older birds all from the same flock.

Perhaps you could buy day olds and have someone raise them for you. You could undoubtedly knock together a breeder box in part of a day, probably from scraps, if needed. Not too unusual for people to do this for a fee.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Wow thanks for typing that out. You have given good warning of the hen fight i may let myself in for.

If i went to a breeder would he have different breeds in the same flock ?

Reg

Quote:
Thanks Dave

If i gave them perches which stepped up near the top say 2. 3. 4ft would they use them ?

Just make something temporary with scrap material to try out. If they are not using it, just remove as need. My do like it.

If i went to a breeder would he have different breeds in the same flock ?

Could be. I think sometimes they only isolate for breeding then let them together. It will take some research. If you're only after variety and eggs, rather than having specific breeds in mind, perhaps you could pick up some that are already mixed breed that are all in the same flock. You'd be surprised how pretty some mutts can be; my mutt roos are gorgeous, and I really like my one mutt hen, too. I also like having them look different from each other.

Quote:
Not worried about the eggs just looking for different colour birds to make it more interesting. Not often seen so i thought i would have a go.

Plus i am interested in birds in general & would be interesting to see if different breeds behave differently.

Hey i just e mailed you LOL

Reg

Quote:
Thanks Dave

Just make something temporary with scrap material to try out. If they are not using it, just remove as need. My do like it.

Sound advice

Thanks

Reg

I have 17 chickens only two are the same breed I bought them from different people and they get along just fine , there was a small bit of pecking for a day or two then it settled down

Back
Top Bottom