this is too cute. but i have a question?

rheannaspetchicks

Hatching
10 Years
Oct 19, 2009
this is my baby chick, she's about a month old now. we've been keeping her in a pen inside and now i'm pretty sure she thinks shes a dog. she jumps in the bed with me and lays down.(see picture!) she's not sick, she does this everynight. has anyone else had this problem? i put her outside with the other three chickens, and the rooster pecked her really hard.
hmm.png

2gt96jd.jpg

i was afraid that was going to happen. she's my first and only baby chick, but i think it may be time to put her outside full time.

Give her a sanctuary area where she can get away from the bigger chickens. There should be an opening too small for the other chickens to get through and there should be some food and water there so she is not starved. She will still probably be pecked, but once the other chickens are satisfied that she knows her place, things should settle down. Another option is cage her in view of the other chickens but completely separate where they can't get at her.

buy her some diapers and keep her inside
big_smile.png
I had a little roo that took to me like that. When I did put him outside everytime he saw me he'd fly out of the chicken yard (over a 4 ft fence) and land in my arms. Eventually he forgot about me and only remembered his chicken friends.
sad.png

It took me a month and a half to integrate my silkie roo in with the girls. They hated him at first and picked on him. So, I made a seperate area inside and outside for him, where they could see but not touch eachother. But I would always let them free range together in the evenings. I slowly left him in the coop and run with the hens until they were all getting along. One day he turned around and pecked my "head hen" right on the kisser and things have been fine since. He's still spoiled, but he loves his hens, too.
If you start to integrate her with the others make sure you can "spy" on them first, just to make sure she doesn't get seriously injured. And keep checking her for any injuries, too. Keep on it, it should hopefully work out. Let us know what happens!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom