1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

This is us.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Zah-zah, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Zah-zah

Zah-zah Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2007
    Hello you fellow chicken lovers!

I've always liked chickens but it's only for a week that I have my very own. And I wouldn't wanna miss them for the world. My friend laugh at me when I tell them I've build a little bench to sit with the chicks. But I find it fun and relaxing.

I've got 3 chickens, 2 young Brahma ladies and one "mechelse koekoek" (flamish name), she was born june 2006. I don't know exactly what the breed is called in English but she looks a lot like the barred rock chicken. Only she has little bit feathers on her legs.

her they are, at the front you can see Charlotte and Jos├ęphine, my Brahma ladies
    [​IMG]

This is Clara, the barred rock chick?
    [​IMG]

And last but not least, the coop and bench insid the run that I'm all kinda pround of. It's 80% recycled materials and all handbuild by me. It's not all finished yet, I want to make it more beautiful and fun. With a window and some more dry spaces for rainy days.
    [​IMG]

Hope you like this Belgian chickenstuff.

Greetings!
    Hilde (Zah-zah is actually my cat's name)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007
  2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Welcome to the forum. You have some beautiful ladies there!

Don't let them laugh at you about your bench - Ive got an observation seat in my chicken run too!

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Welcome to byc! Your girls are very beautiful especially the brahmas. Yes, don't worry about the bench/observation seat - we all have them - even me. [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Hilde, are you writing from Belgium? North or South?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Welcome, Hilde!

Let them laugh, the world needs more laughter. LOL

I love your run and house. It is lovely. So are your chickens.

Barred rocks here typically have yellow legs. I do not know where in this big world that you are and things very well may be different but I have to ask what color are Clara's legs and her feet?

6. joanm

joanm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG] Cute coop and I LIKE the bench!

7. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello and welcome to byc.

I've got two seats in the pen and invite people to join me. Chickens are so enjoyable and you can watch them all the time and not tire.

I love the coop. Great Job [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    I like the observation bench idea. That is a nice coop too. How do you go about keeping the chickens from using the bench as a perch and leaving surprises?

9. Zah-zah

Zah-zah Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2007
    Thanks guys, I feel really welcome here.

@ buff hooligans: I'm from the north part of Belgium, Flanders. I speek dutch.

@ MissPrissy: Clara doesn't have yellow legs like the Brahma's. As you can see on this picture below. Maybe this breed is just typical belgian/european.

@ 1acrefarm: I don't mind if the sit on the bench. I don't think I could do anything to stop them from doin it. Just clean the bench now and then.

[​IMG]

This morning the cats came with me to feed the chicks. I left the fence open a little bit and the neighbours cat came in through the opening but my cat wasn't the clever...she climbed OVER the open fence. It was really funny to see her do that.

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Welcome, Hilde! Pretty ladies you have, and I like your pink accents on your coop!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by