This is why predators have such an easy time with quail

dc3085

Crowing
7 Years
Jan 6, 2013
SF Bay Area, California
I set up a game cam on a cage wrapped in hardware cloth to see just how that stupid raccoon got so many of my birds earlier this month. Turns out they actually go up to him to investigate what he is doing. There were a ton of pictures but below are the pertinent ones. Notice the time stamps on the pics. This one raccoon spent 1 hour and 12 minutes trying to get into the same cage.

I have lost one quail through hardware cloth
they took his head off
your pictures go to show he walked up there and offered it to them
roll.png

heard the chickens this morning and found the neighbors cat laying next to the quail house stalking the chickens
quail all lined up next to him "look at this" "look at this"

not the smartest are they? lol

Very creepy. I can't believe it stalked those quail for over an hour. Quail are cute, but they definitely aren't very smart. They run away from me though, right into the corners where I can't reach.

Mine stay in their run all night, but I may have to start locking them in the coop part. I have hardware cloth on the run, but I still don't really trust the door I have on it. (I have a pre-fab rabbit hutch) I think I'll try to make it sturdier soon, I already need new hinges anyway.

They are incredibly strong also.I have seen where they had pulled regular chicken wire right apart like it was nothing.

Hello i used to do a lot of trapping coon, muskrat, skunks, etc the coons are a real problem they always get are chickens and there vicious grab em through the chain link and maul them alot of the times they leave the chickens in there dead id use some d.p.'s dog proof foot traps http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Dog-Proof-Coon-Trap/dp/B004949EIC (you can pick them up at about the same price at cabelas) if you are in a suburban area other wise id just get them with foot traps and conibears ive trapped alot of coons by the chicken coop

I have a pile of live traps and leg holds. My dad used to be a hunting guide and we both had fur trapping licenses before. The problem is I live in the city right now and there is an unlimited source of raccoons here. Trapping them is as effective as peeing into the wind.

Back
Top Bottom