THIS ISN'T AN EMERGENCY. Do all chickens sneeze?

chickenlover09

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
I'm sorry if this is a bad question, but i'm not very good with chicken health.... (Good think I joined the forum!!)

Sometimes when i'm letting the chicks/chickens run around, they sneeze. Not a lot, but you can tell that they do. They're beaks are nice and dry no snot, but they do sneeze maybe once a day or every other day (at least that's when i've seen them do it).

Mainly the silkies. Is sneezing something to worry about, or do they just have a tickle in their nose?

Thanks.

For the most part, sneezing should not be of a concern unless it is happening frequently with large amounts of discharge. Unless your birds are exhibiting other signs of illness its not a problem. All of my birds sneeze on occasion, its usually just to dislodge some dirt or water they may have gotten stuck in there.

Okay thanks. They're not sick in any other way, and there's barely any discharge coming out of their nose.

Also, I don't really want to start a new thread, so if you can answer this I would really appreciate it! I have 5 chicks in all, 2 normal laying hens (that's what the guy at the feed bin called them, but i'm not sure the breed. I think one of them may be a silver laced wyndadotte mix though), and 3 silkies.

The 2 laying hens and 1 of the silkies are both a little over 11 weeks, and the other 2 silkies are a month older then the others. When should they start laying?

Hens start laying at the earliest 18 weeks (earliest I have ever seen was 16 weeks in production breeds). The silkies will probably be a couple weeks (21-24 weeks old possibly) older before they start to lay as they aren't a major production breed, the layers will probably start pretty close to the 18 week mark, give or take a a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom