**This Looks Really Yucky!! Can Anyone Help??**

12 gauge

Chirping
May 13, 2015
texas
My bantam hen has this weird, yucky "growth" between her eyes (she doesn't have a comb or it would be on her comb). I don't know if she was stung by something or if it's something else entirely but her left eye is somewhat swollen and both eyes are irritated and bubbly or foamy. We just noticed it a couple of days ago and have been cleaning it with peroxide and started applying Neosporin today. Has anyone experienced this before or have any advice? Thanks so much!

That does look pretty nasty. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but wanted to suggest a couple of things.

Neosporin sells two types: one with and one without pain reliever - make sure your using the one WITHOUT the pain reliever. Also instead of peroxide I would recommend Vetericyn spray. It's a wound spray made for animals and livestock, very safe, and won't dry out like peroxides.

Is there any puss or blood coming from the abscess? How long has she had this?

That does look pretty nasty. I'm sorry I don't have any answers for you but wanted to suggest a couple of things.

Neosporin sells two types: one with and one without pain reliever - make sure your using the one WITHOUT the pain reliever. Also instead of peroxide I would recommend Vetericyn spray. It's a wound spray made for animals and livestock, very safe, and won't dry out like peroxides.

Oh goodness! We're using the Neosporin with pain reliever so I'll go pick up some without it as well as some of the Vetericyn spray. There doesn't seem to be any puss but there is a small amount of blood coming from the "cracks". We first noticed it about 3 days ago.

I'm also wondering if it could be some sort of cancer or staph infection of some sort.

Neosporin sells two types: one with and one without pain reliever - make sure your using the one WITHOUT the pain reliever. Also instead of peroxide I would recommend Vetericyn spray. It's a wound spray made for animals and livestock, very safe, and won't dry out like peroxides.

Oh goodness! We're using the Neosporin with pain reliever so I'll go pick up some without it as well as some of the Vetericyn spray. There doesn't seem to be any puss but there is a small amount of blood coming from the "cracks". We first noticed it about 3 days ago.

I'm also wondering if it could be some sort of cancer or staph infection of some sort.

Don't freak out... It's true that medications ending in caine can be toxic, but many people use procaine penicillin and I have used stypic powder with benzocaine on bleeding navels of chicks and ducklings, and I've also used lidocaine eye drops. No offense to anyone here, but I think the don't use "caine" came from a post many years ago where someone used the pain relief ointment and their bird died. Not positive, but I think that poster later commented that they were sure if they two were related.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Don't freak out... It's true that medications ending in caine can be toxic, but many people use procaine penicillin and I have used stypic powder with benzocaine on bleeding navels of chicks and ducklings, and I've also used lidocaine eye drops. No offense to anyone here, but I think the don't use "caine" came from a post many years ago where someone used the pain relief ointment and their bird died. Not positive, but I think that poster later commented that they were sure if they two were related.

-Kathy
Kathy:
Thanks for the info that is helpful knowledge. I had saw that on several different chicken and duck related websites (including BYC) that said it was toxic. I was looking up how to treat bumblefoot at the time. So had assumed it was a no no.

12 gauge:
Listen to Kathy (casportpony) she is very knowledgeable.

-Kathy

Kathy:
Thanks for the info that is helpful knowledge. I had saw that on several different chicken and duck related websites (including BYC) that said it was toxic. I was looking up how to treat bumblefoot at the time. So had assumed it was a no no.

12 gauge:
Listen to Kathy (casportpony) she is very knowledgeable.

Yeah, many forums non-veterinary sites say it's toxic, but I have my doubts, lol. I'm not saying one should use it instead, just that one doesn't need to panic if they have used it. There is a post in the duck forum where a duckling practically ripped it's leg off and they used the one with pain relief without any issues.

-Kathy

I just saw the pictures.... Looks like it could be fowl pox.- Kathy
Yes ma'am it could be it is on her left eyelid and a speck of it is on her right cheek now. my mom found mites on her today do yall think the mites can be doing something to her?

Lidocyne and toxisty to chickens,

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/vaa.12226/full

http://www.ivsajournals.com/jufile?...iPWYxNDQ4OTU3NWU3M2Q2MzUwMWVlODIwMzgxYWQxMTE5

This 2 studies show that chicken have relatively high tolerance to lidocyne
See this quote From page12 from the second link, that shows that chicken can stand more than 30mg/kg chicken and it is much higher than the dosage of 4 mg/ kg chicken, recommended as safe for chicken.

"...Total doses of lidocaine ranging from 5.8 to 11.7 mg/kg have been reported to produce convulsion in sheep, cats, horses and dogs.17,19,28,29 In our study, convulsive dose of lidocaine in chickens was 30.51 ± 5.15 mg/kg which is the highest dose among all species...."

Benny

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom