this may be a dumb question

crystal94040

Songster
12 Years
Aug 15, 2007
I've heard that the first person/animal a baby chick see's they think is their mama. SO what about chickens that are sent from hatcheries? Do they always think the guy from shipping is their mama??....lol
Do they bond with you when they are chicks ( like follow you around as if your the mama hen)
Or are they all depressed at first because they are looking for their mama?
Or is this a completely stupid question because they could really care less???...lol

I'm getting my 24 hour old chickens next week!

Well I have a 4 day old partridge silkie chick and it loved me just the same. I got him when he was like 1/2-1 day old. When I get him out to play with him I let him get on my hand instead of me picking him up so when he is older he'll come to me instead of me coming to him. Make sense?

Crystal, no question is dumb, only the unasked question. I got all my 50+ from a hatchery at two days old they are now 21 and 17 weeks and most all of them will follow me everywhere I go... You are the one who cares for them, feeds, water, cleans ect... you are considered mommy.

If you have just one, you become their flock, which you do not want. You'll never have a minute's peace. If you have a couple, they become their own flock, and you are the Treat Bringer and Coop Door Opener, a position of importance in their little chicken brains, but not their whole world. Mine come running when they see or hear me, to see what I've brought them today, but when I'm not there they don't look for me, which is fine.

Back
Top Bottom