This might be a dumb question but..

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
bow.gif
help! I have 31 chickens I have 5 RIR 5 EE's, 3 Black Giants, 2 golden comets 2 redsexlink, 2 dom, 2 leghorn, 1 Buff Orp., 2 barred rock bantam, 1 brama bantam and 5 silkies and out of 31chicks I have one Blue silkie that is a ROO
ep.gif
. Will he fertilize all of the eggs or just the silkies? he has yet to crowed he is just 20 weeks old but has a large comb I want to get a dom roo or cuckoo roo. should I re-home him ?

I doubt that he will be able to fertilize all the eggs from 30 hens. If you really want fertile eggs, pen him with about 10-12 hens that you like the best and keep those eggs. 30 hens is definitely too much for a young rooster.

Good advice - 1 roo for every 8 to 12 girls. What you will end up with is a very tired rooster (look for bags under his eyes and the ice pack he will carry around) and spotty at best fertilization.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Info BYCer's he is 20 weeks old has not crowed yet. What age will he fertilize eggs I might want to let one silikie hatch some eggs he is a very handsome blue silkie roo. I have 1 white hen 2 buff hens non bearded and 1 black/blue breaded hen which should I hatch eggs from anyone got any Info on what I would get for chicks ?

Ok, friend. Picture this: One roo has a harem of 15 girls. Ok, a few times a day, 7 days a week. 31??? He will um, mate himself to death. HAHAHA! The ratio is usually 10-15 hens per roo - we have 16 and he is fine I would not personally add another girl to his flock at this point.

And he is a silkie - smaller and more delicate! Poor guy is probably making himself crazy!
lol.png

just remember the advice "if he can crow, he can sow" meaning he will be sexually mature. Also, fluff birds like silkies and cochins have a harder time inseminating hens and fluffy hens have a harder time becoming pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom