This Newbie Says Hello...

Eelantha

Songster
5 Years
Mar 11, 2018
Quebec (Qc)
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I'm a complete rookie with barnyard animals of any kind. I inherited a flock of chickens when I moved houses in 2015, so despite having them for the last three years I'm still greatly inexperienced at raising chickens and looking to learn more about them so I can better care for them. Everything I know about chickens, I pieced together from the Internet.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

5 - 1 stunning Ameraucana rooster whose plumage is proving hard to identify (I'm pretty sure he's a color cross in the breed), 1 blue Ameraucana hen, 1 white Chantecler x brown hen (or Rhode Island) pullet cross, 1 white Chantecler x Plymouth hen pullet cross (the mother might be a Barred Wyandotte instead of a Barred Plymouth...), and a white columbian bantam hen with some very pale buff colors on her back feathers, hinting at a red parent further up her lineage. If I didn't know better I'd swear she was a bantam light Sussex. As it is most of my chickens are crosses in one way or another, but personally I don't care - they're beautiful, colorful and interesting birds... and they're giving me eggs so it's a plus x3

(3) What breeds do you have?

Purity-wise, at least 1 Ameraucana. Cross-wise, I have one more Ameraucana, some Chantecler/brown or Rhode Island/Plymouth or Wyandotte hybrids, plus a white columbian bantam lady of unknown origins. I plan on exploring more breeds in the close future.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Via google while looking up information on how to care for my chickens. The people who post here are very friendly and helpful too, it's nice to see how they all support each other here ^^

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I mainly read, write and draw. My favorite hobby as of late though is going out to give some treats to my chickens - they're like exotic pets to me, who's never had farm animals before in my life, so I spoil them silly xD

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I just want to say in advance, a big thank you for all the people who have created, animated and given life to Backyard Chickens over the years - this site is a goldmine of information for the errant and lost newbies looking for concrete information and support on how to care for their barn animals. It's surprisingly difficult to get answers within Quebec city and the surrounding towns whenever I have questions about my flock, so I'm extremely glad I found this site!

And.... hello to you all! I'm just someone who's curious and eager to learn more about chickens in general, as lady luck saw me fit to have some in my backyard. I haven't checked to see if there are fellow Quebecan Backyarders on this site yet, but if there are, I'll gladly add myself to that number! I speak both French and English, so no need to worry about language difficulties ^^

Last edited:
G’Day from down under Eelantha :frow Welcome!

Yep, there is a Canadian Thread :D

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Hello,welcome to BYC!!.It is nice to get to know a little bit about you.If you have any questions we are here to help!:):welcome

Thank you! I will be sure to; in fact I would very much like to, but I'm not sure where to post them right now. I'll browse on this site a bit more and see if there is an appropriate place for them, if not I'll do my best to post my questions where I think they fit best ^^

G’Day from down under Eelantha :frow Welcome!

Yep, there is a Canadian Thread :D

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Sweet! I'll go check up the Canadian thread then :D
I'm fumbling with my profile page; as soon as I get how it works and find how to display information about my place and climate I will do so.
Same for sharing pictures xD

Thanks alot for replying so quickly!

Back
Top Bottom