This one is not like the others

Snozzle

Songster
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Tri-Cities Tennessee
I have 4 silkie chicks which just turned a month old. 1 black, 1 white and 2 partridge. They are all from the same breeder and all hatched together. The black and partridge are looking like normal silkie chicks, soft and poofy, but the white one looks more like a polish, he feathered out different and doesn't have much poof to him at all, but he has 5 toes and his skin is beginning to turn dark, so he is definitely silkie. I have also noticed he acts different then the others, he isn't as shy as the others and more vocal when he is out, he just seems more high strung. Could he be a roo? Would that make a difference in the feathers? Here are some pics in comparison of him(Rafael) and one of the partridge ones(Snookie, big hair and too much eyeliner lol)
114003_lil_roo.jpg

114003_snooki.jpg

I would definitely show this picture to the breeder and see what she/he has to say. I'm wonder if somehow a stray egg wandered into the nest.
lol.png
Or a randy rooster snuck over for a date.

Last edited:
Eh it's ok, these guys are just pets and I traded one of my flemish giant rabbits which I have waaaay too many of anyways for these guys. He did look like the others starting out, this has just happened over the past week.
I do have an adult silkie roo out there already which looks more silkieish, he can just be my main guy and this little peep, if he is a roo, can just be a pet.

Oh that little ones is so cute! Cut not looking silkie to me LoL Perhaps part Brahma, Polish, Cochin, or the like, but super cute anyway!!! I'd ask the breeder just to know what he/she is for curiosity sake, but I think it's a doll!

he's so cute, I 'd say polish mix he kinda looks like what my polish roo einstein looked like at that age

What about the 5th toe though? I always thought that was a recessive gene, so if dad was a non-silkie then there should be no 5th toe unless he is a silkie mix and a carrier of the toe gene. The little oddball had 5 toes though. Hmm maybe I need to rename him Mr. X :)

I believe the 5th toe and dark skin to both be dominant. I have polish/silkie mixes and 100% of them and all I've hatched have 5 (or 6) toes each and all with dark skin and smooth feathers. I question whether he's part silkie at all. Maybe an accidental egg swap happened. I do believe him to be a rooster though. He's gonna be some character! "Goofy".

Back
Top Bottom