This owl wont stop attacking my chickens and ducks!

:welcome :frowI had an issue with an owl going through some netting. I have my pens covered but ran short and bought some crappy netting online. It wasn't what I thought it was but put it up anyway thinking it would still deter aerial predators. I moved the birds to another coop and pen after the owl had killed some. I put a camera up in the pen and got a picture of it going through the netting. Each time it went through I put another piece of netting up replacing the net the owl went through. I bought some good netting and put it up. The owl tried again but this time got stuck in the netting. We managed to get it into a cage and called a wildlife rescue. They came and got it. They said they had a release area so it shouldn't be back.
View attachment 2405676View attachment 2405677
This is the good netting. This is like the original netting I put up. Very strong. I have seen and heard owls but so far so good.
View attachment 2405678View attachment 2405679
Is the netting you used available for online purchase? What kind is it?

Its breaking the wire,every time it happens i see a huge hole in the wire. I didn't think that owls could do this,so that is why i choose having the wire on top.i really want to get close so i can see how big this thing is,ive only seen it once flying above the tress and its wings seemed pretty big

Ive tried waiting for this owl to come down as i did leave the rest of the carcass in the pen,but it sat in its nest jus stalking me and waiting for me to leave,even though i tried to stay hidden. maybe ill look into the heavier duty netting
Use time owl is focused on carcass to tighten up defenses. That means acquire materials you need and do install. Can you post pictures?

i have a camera installed but i haven't had the chance to look at yet,im hoping it captured it happening. I also just ordered this heavy super duty netting so maybe it will be better,also im thinking of just making a solid roof,but its a big coop so not sure how much money i would be spending

Its breaking the wire,every time it happens i see a huge hole in the wire. I didn't think that owls could do this,so that is why i choose having the wire on top.i really want to get close so i can see how big this thing is,ive only seen it once flying above the tress and its wings seemed pretty big
Probably a Great Horned Owl. That is what we have here.

i have a camera installed but i haven't had the chance to look at yet,im hoping it captured it happening. I also just ordered this heavy super duty netting so maybe it will be better,also im thinking of just making a solid roof,but its a big coop so not sure how much money i would be spending
Photographs need not be from a game camera, just need to get lay of housing. Netting likely to be least pricey option when compared to building a hard roof using new materials.

Back
Top Bottom