This owl wont stop attacking my chickens and ducks!

Pics

Horserider77364

In the Brooder
Nov 9, 2020
Spotsylvania,Virginia
These 2 Owls come every night and try to take my chickens and ducks head off. I have a chicken run that had a netted roof with a tarp over it but instead the owl somehow smashed right through it and got a hold of several of my chickens. I may sound crazy but i have a very strong relationship with my chickens and i know all their different personalities,and it hurts so much to wake up and their head is missing. I have covered the roof temporally with another tarp,but does anyone know how i can stop these owls from coming and also what would be a good material for the roof?

First when owl makes a kill, leave the carcass in place. Owl will return to finish consuming that carcass before making a fresh kill most of the time. That buys you more time to tighten up security or patch holes. First fixes are short-term. Make so ducks roost in boxes or crates that you close before owl comes in. With chickens, could you go out with a flash lite and take a picture of where they are roosting and how owl might approach them. Then post in this thread.

I have tangled with owls a lot and still keep chickens roosting free-range without killing owls. There are also approaches using heavier duty bird netting than you have used so far.

Ive tried waiting for this owl to come down as i did leave the rest of the carcass in the pen,but it sat in its nest jus stalking me and waiting for me to leave,even though i tried to stay hidden. maybe ill look into the heavier duty netting

:welcome :frowI had an issue with an owl going through some netting. I have my pens covered but ran short and bought some crappy netting online. It wasn't what I thought it was but put it up anyway thinking it would still deter aerial predators. I moved the birds to another coop and pen after the owl had killed some. I put a camera up in the pen and got a picture of it going through the netting. Each time it went through I put another piece of netting up replacing the net the owl went through. I bought some good netting and put it up. The owl tried again but this time got stuck in the netting. We managed to get it into a cage and called a wildlife rescue. They came and got it. They said they had a release area so it shouldn't be back.
DSCF00031125 02.jpg
DSCF00031125 10.jpg

This is the good netting. This is like the original netting I put up. Very strong. I have seen and heard owls but so far so good.
IMG_20191221_101158.jpg
IMG_20200229_133038.jpg

I was concerned about smaller creatures as well as big ones so I layered different sizes and different materials.
I have the welded wire as my run walls as well, with 1/2” hardware cloth around the bottom 24”. I also have an electric fence attached to my run so anything climbing up the HC should get shocked before it gets into the welded wire.

Back
Top Bottom