This seems like a silly question, but is this a rooster?

Now I'm very confused because I am not seeing a white egg???
The two photos show a blue egg and a brown (or tint egg). I don't see a white egg.

Yeah sorry I edited my post to say that I don't know if that egg is even technically white but it seems white compared to the eggs I was getting from my Isa Browns but it does seem a bit light brown or off white so not sure if that's what the seller counted as white or if I'm yet to see the pure white egg of the other chicken

Yeah sorry I edited my post to say that I don't know if that egg is even technically white but it seems white compared to the eggs I was getting from my Isa Browns but it does seem a bit light brown or off white so not sure if that's what the seller counted as white or if I'm yet to see the pure white egg of the other chicken
I have some creams or tans that i usually call brown, but for a white I would expect a stark white like you get in the stores

You will know a white egg when you see one. I would consider those brown. Much as I love my blue green and olive eggs as well as my various shades of brown including my really dark brown Maran's eggs, I still found the pure white eggs from my leghorns the most amazing!

I should say that we don't have commercial white egg layers here in the UK anymore, so seeing a pure white egg was even more of a revelation than seeing a blue one for the first time.

Yeah in Australia our store bought eggs are brown (more brown than that egg) so apparently I've never seen an actual white egg
:)
Lol. In the USA the standard color is white, and if you buy the ones marked organic they are brown... I don't think most people would know there was anything but. I wish a company would just sell variety mixed eggs in the chain stores

@sawilliams

There is a speciality range available in some shops here that are mixed colours but the vast majority of production birds are either leghorns where you are in the states or red sex links here in the UK, for the simple reason that they are the most productive birds and it is all about economics in the food production business. I wonder if sex links do better in our cooler climate, whereas leghorns do better in your climate. I believe there are other parts of the states where brown eggs are the norm and white eggs unusual, and since leghorns come from Italy which has a warmer climate perhaps that is reason it seems to be a regional difference.

@sawilliams

There is a speciality range available in some shops here that are mixed colours but the vast majority of production birds are either leghorns where you are in the states or red sex links here in the UK, for the simple reason that they are the most productive birds and it is all about economics in the food production business. I wonder if sex links do better in our cooler climate, whereas leghorns do better in your climate. I believe there are other parts of the states where brown eggs are the norm and white eggs unusual, and since leghorns come from Italy which has a warmer climate perhaps that is reason it seems to be a regional difference.
Idk, everywhere i've been in the US it's normally white. I don't think i even saw my first brown egg till about 10 years ago when the farmers narkets started becoming a really big deal in my local area, and then of course the orgainic.

But yrs your right most standard commercial egg producers her is leghorns and organic commercial producers use a brown laying breed

Back
Top Bottom