This winters feed

We had a mild winter so the grasshopper eggs didn't winter kill. As for cost I harvest the wheet myself with an ol' 410 Massey Ferguson combine. To do 20 acres it will cost me a few jerry cans of gas maybe. That's not til October so I'll post some shots on this thread then.

wheat.jpg

The wheat is ripening good but the not quite ready for harvest. The combine is all tuned up and ready to go just need some frost to kill the green weeds so the crop will not be tough. Nothing worse than having all your grain ferment in the bin during winter.

Wheetdumping.jpg

combine.jpg

Well the harvest is done and that's left is to wait for the snow to fall. The yeild was poor with all the grasshoppers & weeds so there be just enough to next harvest.

Well this week I set up my roller mill which will hopefully lower our feed costs.
rollmill.jpg
This machine has two huge steel rolls which you set the distance between them to decide how crushed you want your grain. I set them pretty close together so the feed gets rolled pretty good. The machine runs off a 7.5 Hp electric motor so it's pretty powerful.
feed.jpg

I rolled 9-5 gallon pails of wheet & oats in about 15 minutes and the results were pretty good. The hens will get more out of the feed this way.
rolledgrain.jpg

Back
Top Bottom