This would have been a mistake....

Steven Bussell

Songster
May 5, 2019
Bay Area Calif
If I would have started raising our chick's and ducklings this time last year it would have been a huge mistake..
I started building the coop maybe around Feb last year.
I was working almost 12 hours a day. 3 hours was just being stuck in traffic. My drive home could sometimes be a 2 hr ordeal. I used the time to decompress so no matter how bad my day was I wouldn't bring it home with me.
After 25 years with the same company I was having more bad days than good. Not because of the work but because of the ompany owner change in how he treated me. At my age being treated poorly and with disrespect is not worth any amount of money.
I decided to quit my job. Took a big pay cut and got a job working in a new field
Now my commute time round trip is 20 minutes. I look forward to going to work .Yes I still have stressful days.
But it just part of dealing with the problems of the job.
I'm home almost 3 hours before my wife. Taking care of cleaning, feeding,watering and inspectioning very one is how now i decompress before she gets home.
Afterwards I grab some ice tea and just sit outside the coop looking at a empty run...Most days this is where she finds me. On the weekends I sit and enjoy my coffee out there.
I have spent more time in 3 months in my backyard than the 11 years we have owned this place
I'm looking forward to the day they start using the run and pond. I already have plans to double the run and pond next spring.
This time last year by the time I got home I just didn't have the time or energy to meet their needs.
My opinion a ducking is the next cutest thing to a black lab puppy.

Much applause. It just isn't worth it to work yourself to death.

My family and I made a similar move two years ago when we moved from Atlanta to Austin (Pflugerville). I work way fewer hours, spend way less time in traffic, make less money, but spend way more time with the family (and now, the chickens!). Even with much less expendable income, I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I can't replace the years of my kids' childhood. I can make mad money later, if that is what we want.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't handle charges very well.
When I buy shoes I'll buy 8 pairs because I know in 6 months they probably will be no longer available.
I don't travel very far from home either.
It was been a change for the better that's for sure. I do need to learn to deal with unexpected challenges. Last minute noticen drive me crazy.
In the corporate world it happens to often.

Nope, hold fast to your routine.
Keep buying eight pairs of shoes and don't travel far.
I'm speaking from experience, you have it figured out. ;)
I'm the kind of person that doesn't handle charges very well.
When I buy shoes I'll buy 8 pairs because I know in 6 months they probably will be no longer available.
I don't travel very far from home either.
It was been a change for the better that's for sure. I do need to learn to deal with unexpected challenges. Last minute noticen drive me crazy.
In the corporate world it happens to often.

I sold my house, resigned my job at the National Cathedral and moved to the mountains of North Carolina 6 years ago! I knew one person who lives an hour and a half from where I settled down. I bought 7 acres, built a house, work 25 hours a week, grow almost all of the produce I need, and now I have a flock of 17 young chickens!
One of my newest pleasures is catching large green beetles that are swarming (as well as beetles can swarm!) around the coop and garden, then releasing them in the run!
I'm beginning to think I'm spending too much time with the flock!

I sold my house, resigned my job at the National Cathedral and moved to the mountains of North Carolina 6 years ago! I knew one person who lives an hour and a half from where I settled down. I bought 7 acres, built a house, work 25 hours a week, grow almost all of the produce I need, and now I have a flock of 17 young chickens!
One of my newest pleasures is catching large green beetles that are swarming (as well as beetles can swarm!) around the coop and garden, then releasing them in the run!
I'm beginning to think I'm spending too much time with the flock![/QUOTE
You have became a true chickentender...
I invite people who can make a board move like that..
Thankfully my wife understand me.
I don't travel or do large crowds either.
But she does. And I don't get upset when she goes without me....

Back
Top Bottom