This year's eggs Update:Damsel on nest

Quote:
Yes wing band visibility was a concern, can it ever hurt their wing? I wouldn't want them to lose wing function...I might try the plastic cable ties...I am not sure...This won't be permanent anyway just until I can tell the peachicks appart unless if they all look different from the start which would be nice!

Wing bands are very easily less visible than leg bands. When wing is folded, you cannot see it at all. Might catch a glimpse of the band when the bird stretches out the wing... but often not even then is it visible.. just gets covered up by the feathers. To read a wing band, you have to catch the bird and spread out the wing to see it. Which is a con if you don't like to catch the birds... the pro is pretty much zero visibility. I hate seeing any tags or identifying markers on the birds so I went with wing bands for this reason...

It would work very well if you used leg bands on the chicks until they are old enough for you to feel comfortable trying out wing bands on them. Wing bands can be put on any age birds.

Wing function is not impaired at all. There is a flap of thin very elastic skin going across front of the wing, the wing band pierces that and closes under. So the wing band is not piercing bone/muscle or impairing anything.. (to clearly see this skin, look at uncooked chicken wings or a complete carcass and pull out the wing)

Pictures

p.s. the band is very visible on chicks until they completely feather out.. don't be too alarmed by it being so visible on peachick in above pictures.

HA you just posted the same page.
wink.png

Superpeacockman, check out link with pictures. It stabs through and closes below the loose skin in front of the wing. More like an earring for the wing. The bird will still be able to fly and everything else just fine.

Last edited:
Okay, I think if I need permanent identification (I am sure I will need that one day for my peafowl) then I will probably use this method. Do you have to order it or can you normally find wing bands at feed stores?

Probably have to order. I've seen them only at one feed store, but they only sold chicken size bands.. Wing band sizing is also important Many online poultry/livestock supply stores sites sell them and there are also companies specializing in animal tags. I got mine from Cutler's supply.

i use jiffy 893 from national band co. i place one in each wing, just in case one comes out. Put then in as i take them out of hatcher.

My dad doesn't want to wing band them so we might put a colored dot on their head...Would that work? It wouldn't be permanent just a marker mark or something just for identification when they are small...

Oh and Pip has been setting in the blue dog box for three days now. Poor Alto misses her sooo much! I am not sure how many eggs she is on but she is doing a great job, I will have to upload the pictures I took of her today.
smile.png

Yeah I would love to see pics. Congrats!!! I am so happy that she finally figured it out. Hopefully everything goes smooth and she hatches them. Geez if she hatches them that would be her peachicks then the ones you have in the incubator. You will have a BUNCH OF PEACHICKS
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom