This year's eggs Update:Damsel on nest

Quote:
Since today is day 10 I will take a look at the remaining egg right now. WOAH it is way different looking then what it looked like yesterday, it is darker and the veins are more spread out, and guess what!? I saw the chick moving around in there!!!
big_smile.png

Zaz I am not really wanting any new bird species, I just want peafowl for now but that is a good idea. Some people put stuffed animals in there with them, I do have a small beanie baby peacock...Then I have a realistic sized chicken chick that peeps whenever you touch it. Maybe I could use something like that. I think if this egg hatches I will be out of school by then and I should have plenty of time to be with it except for when I go to camps and vacations.

My peahen layed her first egg from the roost. Way up in the rafters in the barn. So it was smashed.
sad.png

Hopefully soon I will get a good one. I have a broody hen.
fl.gif

Friday I found an egg in the top blue dog box, so I guessed it might be Ice's egg. Today I looked into the blue dog box and saw Pip setting in there! I have no idea how many eggs she is on, but I think she is staying because when I fed the other peas she didn't leave the nest! I am glad that Pip is setting especially after her rough start of dropping eggs from the perch. I think Ice might have been a good example of what to do...

Oh and if I get several of the Deerman eggs in my incubator to hatch (it is still to early to tell what is fertile and what isn't) we want to be able to tell what kind the peachicks might be without getting them mixed up since the eggs say what they are, so what can we mark them with? They are too small for leg bands right, I know some use those wing bands but I don't want to do that but if it doesn't hurt them and it falls off when they are older I *might* consider that if it is a last resort...Could you even put a small colored rubber band on their leg? You know the small kind people have to use for braces? It wouldn't be permanent just for a while until probably when they get old enough for leg bands. I know this is getting a bit ahead, but my mom wants to know so we can keep track of them and order something or whatever if it is something we can't find localy.
wink.png

The good egg that I have is doing great! It is getting darker and darker as that peachick forms, and I have at least 10 days until it hopefully hatches which is exciting. We ordered the new incubator but they said that if they are very busy it might get here by 10 days at most! I sure hope not I will need it before then for that egg.

You can use leg bands, need to find right size. Wing banding works pretty well- even on day old chicks. They do look huge but as long as chick is healthy and eating well they don't seem to notice the wing band at all... Wing bands are permanent, but you can cut them off. The adults really don't seem to notice them at all and normally they are hidden until the bird is in your arms and wing spread out, if visibility was a concern?

Other option is those small plastic cable ties. Some packages have them in a variety of colors, you can choose blue to represent X, orange for Y... useful if there's only a few chicks, very easy to put on and cut off, available at local hardware stores... or if a bit worried about using wing bands on very young birds.

I'm not sure how big peachick legs are...I just need something that I can keep on them without it getting too tight until they are old enough to put real leg bands on or to tell what they are without looking at their leg band.
wink.png

EDIT: Kev posted before I did lol.
You can use leg bands, need to find right size. Wing banding works pretty well- even on day old chicks. They do look huge but as long as chick is healthy and eating well they don't seem to notice the wing band at all... Wing bands are permanent, but you can cut them off. The adults really don't seem to notice them at all and normally they are hidden until the bird is in your arms and wing spread out, if visibility was a concern?

Other option is those small plastic cable ties. Some packages have them in a variety of colors, you can choose blue to represent X, orange for Y... useful if there's only a few chicks, very easy to put on and cut off, available at local hardware stores... or if a bit worried about using wing bands on very young birds.

Yes wing band visibility was a concern, can it ever hurt their wing? I wouldn't want them to lose wing function...I might try the plastic cable ties...I am not sure...This won't be permanent anyway just until I can tell the peachicks appart unless if they all look different from the start which would be nice!​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom