This year's eggs Update:Damsel on nest

I killed an egg...A forming egg I killed it!
hit.gif

I candled the eggs and I swear that the smaller one looked blank, it was a bit dark, but it just didn't look like what I read they are supposed to look like or what pictures of good eggs look like. It looked like just another infertile egg that I thought I could identify by now. I am retarded I got too afraid it would contaminate the good egg so instead of waiting more days, I went outside and cracked it open. I should have taken the hint when with the stick I had to poke it 10 or more times before it cracked, then I saw a bit of blood, and to my extreme horror I found a small chick inside (not very big about quarter sized with big eyes all curled up and the egg sack attached to it. I tried to tell myself maybe it died early, but as much as I wish that were the case I don't think that is the case. I didn't make a mistake and crack open the one I saw veins in, no I didn't do that I made sure I didn't crack that one, but I would have had two peachicks and a 100% hatch rate.
hit.gif
Now my parents are mad and my dad said I should just go ahead and kill the other egg because now what will I do with one lone peachick? I am not going to do that but I am terrible with these eggs, I can't control myself. I think I would be better off just selling eggs or something because apparently I am a peachick killer. I don't even know what to think now. I bet the egg I saw the veins in has or will go bad, that would be fitting wouldn't it....Uh okay if that last egg goes bad I don't even want to touch it I will leave it in the incubator for it to blow up before I ever crack it or throw it out. I shouldn't have been so quick to crack that egg....

I feel so stupid for this...
he.gif

Edit: Today was day 9 in incubation, and the UPA website says around day 3 or 4 of incubation it is easier to notice development. I didn't see any I though, like no development, but for nine days would the chick be as big as a quarter? Does that mean I really did kill it?

Last edited:
Hey don't beat yourself up, i have done the very same thing myself, how ya gona learn if ya don't make a few mistakes along the way, you have plenty of time with peas to learn from them and it takes years so hang in there.
I learn something new every day from my birds .
hugs.gif

Its all right, when I was a kid my parents always had chicken eggs in the incubator and I would grab them and go crack them. They were always so mad at me. Don't kill the other egg. That peachick won't be lonely he will have you! I saw a youtube video and he raised one lone peachick, and that peachick thought of him as his mom and that bird bonded with him so bad, here is a video of him and the bird in his garden.

What a cool video, I can only hope that if this egg I have makes it and hatches, that I can give the peachick enough attention. I know that if they are alone they become really dependent on you for a friend and cry a lot. My dad is not going to like that!
roll.png

your a great pea mom just look out your window at your great birds.what you should do is work togeather with your mom.me an debbie work together she is very patient an is very careful. i am very inpatient she wont let me crack any pea eggs she said noway at day 30 of a clear egg she will let me crack it.you are doing great an help so many people on here dont beat yourself up.you are starting at such a young age by the time your 30 you will be one of the best pea breeders in the country.you love your bird an that is all that matters. i am almost more excited to see you hatch a peachick then us.lol good luck:hugs

Last edited:
Minxfox,
you could get a baby goose for your peachick, i learned that they do very well with other kinds of chicks and they love to snuggle with the growing goose to stay warm and feel safe.
The goose will also grow up protecting the birds it grows up with.
I raised my first gooslings with a batch of chickens and one still hangs with the chickens and protects one rooster in paticular. but she also breaks up rooster fights and sounds the alarm when something is wrong.
Mine also grew up to be really good with all baby birds here.
DSC00180.jpg

Geese are not messy like ducks mine spend most of the time grazing not messing up the water dishes like my ducks do .

Its ok, dont beat yourself up. Ive done that with chicks before. Pretty sad, but theres going to be more eggs so its all good. Goodluck with the other 1. Hope it hatches for ya. :)
Lcw1995

Back
Top Bottom