Those Unnecessary Worries

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Lacey1988, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Well, my little dog Meka is going to be spayed in a couple of weeks and I'm already a nervous mother. I have put it off and put it off mainly because I know that there are risks just as there are when a human has surgery. Also I watched a horrifying video of a veterinarian beating a dog and punching a cat directly in the face until it died when I was little.

I know that that in particular will not happen but still I worry.

You might remember Meka from my earlier thread of when I bred her and of when she had her puppies. BTW if you've bred your dog I don't recommend putting the story on here because I didn't just get flamed I got scorched. lols but on a lighter note, I did get some very helpful advice which I still am forever grateful for even to this day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    As a kid I worked 8 years part time and summers in a veterinary clinic. We're talking the 'old days' without as much control over anesthesia as vets now have. The clinic never lost a dog during a spay and only lost one cat. It's almost guaranteed that any vet who mistreats animals has been/will be caught up with. I know that raising your voice to an animal was not permitted where I worked. If your dog is in good health, all should go well. I know the worry - we worried when we had our golden spayed.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    It's amazing how well spays are performed these days! Despite the invasive nature of the surgery, the body does an AMAZING job at healing and most dogs recover quite quickly. It's also one of the surgeries drilled incessantly into vet's heads, so you can rest easy that the vet will be proficient!

I agree with SL that a lot of the issues with those types of surgeries come from the anesthesia, but the machines used today are pretty amazing and your dog is also small which is a plus.

I think worrying is normal, but I assure you spaying your doggy will be worth it for her health-wise in the long run! You will be essentially eliminating the risk of pyometra and she will have a decreased (significantly decreased) risk of female related cancers.

So many vets go into veterinary medicine because they absolutely adore animals. Believe me when I say they don't go into it for the money! Lol! I'm sure your pet will be treated with kindness and respect. This will also help you establish a relationship with the vet for the future. It's nice to have a trustworthy relationship with any healthcare professional.

Best of luck, but try to relax! It is very rare a spay surgery goes wrong.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  4. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I tell myself everything well be okay but I can not help worrying. lol

5. jorey

jorey Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2012
    north adams
    I just had my baby girl spayed 3 wks ago and she did wonderful other than chewing her stitches out. Took her in they put staples in and she's good as new. Better actually as she went into a false pregnancy with her last heat. Now her teats have all shrunk back down and she is full of p and v like she used to be. She is a boston terrier mix so there's a lot of p and v in her. Lol. So take a deep breath and relax mom.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love the nervous nellies! I've soothed many a puppy parent about having their pet spayed or neutered. It's good that you are nervous. That shows that you care. Ask your veterinarian for a pre-surgical consult. Once you get him or her in a room don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask to see the surgical suite. Ask what kind of anesthesia will be used. Will an IV catheter be placed? Where will the pet recover? Meet the staff and see who will be responsible for the care of your pet while she is away from home.

I've worked as a LVT for 26 years and great improvements have been made in anesthesia for the large and small animal-including avians and pocket pets. All these improvements have been made because of the nervous nellies demanding the best care for their pet. While knowledge may not calm your nerves, at least you'll have a better understanding of what is going on with your pet. while she's away.

Successful veterinary practices are the ones that take the time to answer your questions. Smart veterinarians understand they are treating the client at the same time they are treating the pet. If, at any time, you get a bad vibe from your veterinarian ask questions and never be afraid to seek a second veterinarian should the situation arise.

Most likely the most difficult part of the operation will be the after care. You'll have to keep that little fireball as quiet as possible for at least 7 days.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  7. Peaches Lee

Peaches Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Ask for pre-surgical bloodwork to be drawn. That will give a great inclination on your pup's health. Do not feed food on the day of the surgery. It is a very routine surgery. She'll do great. [​IMG]

8. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I work with a shelter group. We have over 50 dogs that have all been spayed/neutered successfully with no problems. In fact, the only thing I would worry about is possible spay incontinence, which is somewhat unlikely.

Have faith in your veterinarian. I'm sure everything will be okay. [​IMG] If it is of any consolation, I will keep you in my daily prayers. [​IMG]

9. Lacey1988

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    Shes a really nice veterinarian. Shes the one I took Meka to before and after she delivered puppies. I'm just being silly I know, but I just can not help it.

10. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I don't think anyone could help it. Even I'd be nervous. Just don't let it get to you. [​IMG] Keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by