Those who need help in sexing peafowl

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I recall, It is possible to loose colors or patterns when dealing with splits for a number of generations ? Maybe some one can comment on this ??? connerhills

I'm not very well versed in genetics, but I am curious how we would know that we had lost a color or pattern, as opposed to it still being there hiding/masked and waiting to reappear in a later generation?

You'll see that when

-Kathy

No,,really,back on page 83,post # 821 is the now deceased Coco,,and that was sexed as a hen at a few hours old,,I'm wanting scientific proof Coco was indeed a peahen,,or peachickhen,,because the titleof this thread is "Those who need help in sexing peafowl",,and I sure do need help correctly identifying sex on day olds here,,lot less feed involved to growing them to sell as sexed pairs or trios,,I'm in to win,,waiting on video,ect,,

You'll see that when

-Kathy

You are an inspiration
clap.gif
!!!

If I recall, It is possible to loose colors or patterns when dealing with splits for a number of generations ? Maybe some one can comment on this ??? connerhills
George,,I believe what your saying is very possible.I've been researching Silver Fox Rabbits as we're getting some in February.One breeder I'm working with has now had several litters of Pearl and Sable colored kits born. Decades past the few breeds used to create the Silver Fox had these colors that now are showing their pigment again after decades of breeding to the breed standard color of Black. These two colors disappeared until awhile back and only in a few groups scattered all over. So I think with peas this has to be true as well.

And can I add one question, since this is really confusing me:
Birdrain, you claim you sexed Coco as a hen at one day old and then he/she died at one week old.
How do you ascertain that you sexed this chick correctly? Do you have some evidence?
Did you have a necropsy done to determine the sex?

How I know that Coco was a peahen because of the primary feathers and you agreed with me and you even said primary feathers work when sexing and don't argue with it New 2 peafowl I can find it.

You did not answer my question; what makes you think your guess was correct? ("Because of the primary feathers" is not really an answer).

Join the waiting list FBC...still wondering how this "guess" was "proved" to be "correct."
idunno.gif

I have to say that some of you people should be up for sainthood. I understand that some of you are annoyed by this thread but it is really feeding my limited understanding of peafowl and genetics. A lot of the genetic discussion makes my head swim but I think I am getting some of it slowly but surely.

We dove in pretty deep with our acquisitions last year beginning with wanting a couple of breeding trios and a few free ranging yard birds. We kind of fell into a few more birds than we were planning on. Word came to us that a fellow had ten young birds that were broody raised by two separate hens, he was asking ten dollars per bird, we could not resist. He said that he had been raising them for fifteen years from a trio that wondered onto his place. He said that they were IBs and he had never seen anything but IBs produced from his stock. My question is after reading here that the possibility of pure IB stock is not likely should I expect to see some variation?

We like the idea of purity of breed but I have to tell you that I would also like some variation. Everything we have has been represented as IB except the ones bought at auction and we have no idea of their background other than just looking IB. We have three young 2013 hatch that came from a breeder who doesn't know for sure what they are, and another trio with white eye genes.

I really envy you all who can look at a hen and tell what she is. So far I just don't get it.

Oh FBC, please don't feel like the only one on the team!
hugs.gif

All right-thinking peapeople here are on "our" team...we're all in this madness together!

I'm afraid that we will just have to accept the fact - there are some questions in the universe that may never be answered...

KsKingBee,,This thread presented a peahen for public viewing and critiqueing.Author of thread states the bird presented is a male.Author also states they can sex peachicks at one day old. I do not believe anyone here is agreeing with either of these statements the author has made.Or is someone hiding under the bleachers?
Some peachicks CAN be 100% sexed when they hatched if they are certain colors bred to other colors.Purple,Cameo,and Peach comes to mind. But aside from a DNA test after they hatch,until the chicks loses it's chick fuzz and starts getting pigment in their feathers in certain areas that will,.or will not change as the chick gets older it cannot be sexed that soon..All "Wild or Barred" winged pattern birds are the same when hatched.But around 2-3 months of age if that peachick is going to be a hen,the barring on top of the back and the front of the tail feathers and wings will start to lose this barring.The feather will become a soid color,vs having bars across it's width.Males will not lose this barring on the feathers.
Peachicks hatched that are of the 'Black Shoulder" winged pattern are all a lite yellow when hatched,both male and female peachicks.As they get older black pigment starts to show around the edges of the feathers. As more time elapses the males will get solid black feathers in some locations. Hens of the black shoulder pattern will not have any feathers on her body 100% black,(except their tail feathers),rather slight to moderate flecks of black pigment all over her body.This is true of Black Shoulder Silver Pieds,and IB Black shoulders,Midnights,and Purples and Bronze.Opal black shoulder hens are almost white.Their only giveaway after about 7 months of age is the hens will have Opal-gray colored tail feathers,where most other b/s hens has black tail feathers.Some black shoulder hens such as Purple has a moderate amount of lite tan,or rusty colored feathers scattered throughout their off white plumage.
Pied pattern chicks,male or female will have varying splotches or areas that will have the pigment of their intended color as well as the white-to off white body feathers.Then there is some birds that you cannot tell any diffrence between in the black shoulder pattern,Midnight and India Blues,,these hens are identical as adults.
There are give a ways on some colors such as the neck feathers colors.Bronze hens neck feathers appears to be a very dark olive brown mix,Black shoulder silver pied hens seems to have a tan ring around their white necks under their beaks.Purple b/s hens has a blue-purplish feathering around the tops of their necks.
There is a birds Phenotype and the birds Genotype.Phenotype is what the bird is visuallyshowing ,Genotype is the total known genetics the bird has,even tho part of those genetics are not visible. If you breed two India Blue phenotype birds together you would expect 100% india blue looking adults.But if a few of the chicks developes white,or is born yellow the parents have these genetics hidden,or not visible to us.Constantly breeding like birds year after year and getting identical looking chicks as the parents is a good indicator both parents are 100% as they appear visually.But as some new mutations has came into being,somewhere deep within the genetics grab bag,one of the very few hidden matchups occured,thus a new color emerged.

Oh FBC, please don't feel like the only one on the team!
hugs.gif

All right-thinking peapeople here are on "our" team...we're all in this madness together!

I'm afraid that we will just have to accept the fact - there are some questions in the universe that may never be answered...

I'm on Thangs team,and he don't even know it,,cause he is a one bird team! Thang still don't know if he or the egg came first in the universe but being the icon he is in Peaology I'm sure the universe revolves around his little peabrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom