Those who use an "All Flock" feed, PLEASE help me decide on a feed!

I see a lot of you say you’re using crumbles. Do you think the chickens like the crumbles better than the pellets? I find a lot of pellets are on the ground around and under the hanging feeder.
Mine is locally milled, so it only comes in crumble since the provider doesn’t have a pellet machine. I put a big rubber dog bowl below the feeder and any spills at night just get dumped back in. They also get a few small bowls of wet mash in the morning which they love and doesn’t spill out.

I have used both. Pellets don't get wasted as much. I let them make the mess, but then when the food is about gone, they will eat what's on the ground, or the vermin do. Same for crumbles, which is the only type available for the one I get. Chickens are such food flickers, unless it's mash.

In the past 4 years, I've tried several brands Dumore, Purina, and Country Roads. Two of my girls (golden buff) lost their back feathers to what I thought was an overzealous roo but they never grew back. I eliminated all scratch and snacks. The only thing I could think was that they weren't getting enough protein. I then tried organic, thinking the bigger price tag equates quality, and things seemed to get even worse ultimately having a case of wry-neck.
I finally tried Kalmbach all flock. The girls love it, and the bare-backed girls finally began growing their feathers back after almost a year. Everyone seems to be doing well now. My new Cochin girls are about 6 months old and have no other feed and have gorgeous feathers. I'll never change again.

Last edited:
In the past 4 years, I've tried several brands Dumore, Purina, and Country Roads. Two of my girls (golden buff) lost their feathers and they never grew back. I eliminated all scratch and snacks. The only thing I could think was that they weren't getting enough protein. I then tried organic, thinking the bigger price tag equates quality, and things seemed to get even worse and I had a case of wry-neck.
I finally tried Kalmbach all flock. The girls love it and after a year finally began growing their feathers back and everyone seems happy. My new Cochin girls are about 6 months old and have gorgeous feathers. I'll never change again.
I have used Kalmbach Flock Maker on many occasions and it is excellent. Availability is sometimes patchy in my area though.

"Nature's Best Organic Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles, 40 lb"
Is what I use. I offer this feed to everyone and they absolutely love it! This way everyone is getting exactly what they need.

The protein is around 20% which is great for my roosters and I have noticed that my girls do lay better on feeds with higher protein. I just offer oyster shells on the side for the girls to get there extra calcium.

 I also feed this to my little chicks and they love it to! This comes really handy because I don't have to waste money buying separate bags of feed.

The only problem is depending on the shipment sometimes the bag will literally be filled up with dust. Wich is pretty annoying. But another then that i think this feed would be great for your flock!

I have used Kalmbach Flock Maker on many occasions and it is excellent. Availability is sometimes patchy in my area though.
I've been using this for about a year. A small family owned farm sells it. I like supporting small businesses, so that's why I tried it. My birds like it, it's under $23/50 lb bag, and someone always offers to carry the bag out to my car. After learning more about chicken nutrition, this feed "check some boxes" in that department to my satisfaction too.

I 100% recommend Kalmbach's Flock Maker. I noticed a huge difference especially in feather quality when my birds are on it compared to other brands. I would also recommend going online to Kalmbach's website and using their supplier locater map. I just used it to find a local family owned feed store and after speaking to them they said they would special order in as much as I need for $22 per 50lb bag.

https://www.kalmbachfeeds.com/where-buy/

I use Purina's Flock Raiser for everyone, it's been good, and we never feed a layer type feed here.
What you buy depends a lot on what's available where you shop, and especially what's fresh, by mill date! A good 20% protein all-flock diet is a good choice, look at dating and the nutritional profiles. Pellets are nice except for chicks, but the FR only comes in crumble here, so it's what we have been using.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom