Those who use sand in their coops/runs!

Mamato6

Songster
Apr 14, 2017
Spring Branch Tx
What is the name of the sand that you have? I’m having a hard time finding sand from any of the places near me. I have asked for triple wash, bank run and construction sand. One place I just called said they only have screened field sand which I think is limestone.

Sharp sand. I think it’s also called river sand by some suppliers. It’s the one with lots of different sized grains :thumbsup. A word of advice though, don’t use sand in areas that aren’t undercover. I learned the hard way!

Sharp sand. I think it’s also called river sand by some suppliers. It’s the one with lots of different sized grains :thumbsup. A word of advice though, don’t use sand in areas that aren’t undercover. I learned the hard way!
Thanks! Most of the run is covered and I think we’re going to completely cover it. We’ve been using shavings for over a year now and while it smells great directly after putting it in, my chickens seem to destroy that real quick lol.

Thanks! Most of the run is covered and I think we’re going to completely cover it. We’ve been using shavings for over a year now and while it smells great directly after putting it in, my chickens seem to destroy that real quick lol.
Have you considered hardwood wood chip? I get mine free from the local tree surgeon and use it in my main run. It’s great to spread in the flower beds when I change it out after 8 months or so. I still use sand in the small run that I use for growing chicks - I’ve just put a tarp over now to keep it dry! But I think I will change it out for woodchip for my next lot of chicks.

Have you considered hardwood wood chip? I get mine free from the local tree surgeon and use it in my main run. It’s great to spread in the flower beds when I change it out after 8 months or so. I still use sand in the small run that I use for growing chicks - I’ve just put a tarp over now to keep it dry! But I think I will change it out for woodchip for my next lot of chicks.
That sounds like a good idea, I don’t think we have any places like that nearby. I live in Southern Texas. Lots of Agricultural places but not really tree places.

I went to a local place and got 1/2 yard of "River Sand" for $22. Also only half of my run is covered and it does fine in the rain. It is a lot like the beach when a wave comes in and the water just soaks through it.

I get the quick crete play sand at Home Depot or Lowes. Make sure its not wet or moist. The white dry sand works the best, because it doesn't seem to harden and if it gets wet it seems to dry out sooner. I have a covered run , but it will get some of it wet if the wind blowes in the rain.

Back
Top Bottom