Thought chickens flew off.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by kvanconant, Feb 12, 2014.

1. kvanconant

kvanconant Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2014
    So my wife and I bought our first 5 chickens like 4 days ago. (Sold our rooster and youngest pullet all Silkies)
    Bought 3 more chickens the next day. (All 3 are 9 months old but don't roost yet (Brahma and 2 Hertiages)
    We then bought 2 more yesterday.
    Well for the first 3 days everything is great, chickens are doing good they are all getting along.
    We bought 2 chickens yesterday both 9 months old. A Jersey Giant and an Ameraucana.

We put our two news chickens in the coop and watch them for a bit to see how they will react with the other chickens.
    They all do great.

We helped my wife's grandfather move a couch for him for about an hour.
    We get back home and I check on the chickens to check their food and water and make sure everyone is getting along.

I open the coop door and all I see is our Brahma and Silkies.
    I looked in trees and around the neighbors yards and don't see anything.
    I get my wife and we walk around a bit to look for our missing chickens. (Note: I haven't put the top on our run yet and the door going into the run was still open) I put the top on right then.

After a lot of searching we decide it's really cold and need to go back in because we both have to be up early, we should have seen some type of sign where the chickens would have went.
    We get back to our house and I take the water out to the coop to put in the water dish....
    I open the door and the Brahma is gone...
    Then I see chicken poop fall from the ceiling rafters and hit the floor...
    All of our chickens were in the ceiling rafters roosting above the view from the door. Note the coop is only 6' tall from the floor to the ceiling but when you open the door you can't see the ceiling.

We had thought all of our large chickens had flown out of the 6' tall run.
    Nope they were all chilling up in the rafters.
    Only chickens that didn't go up to the rafters are the Silkies but they are smaller 4 months old right now.

2. KentuckyMom

KentuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    Foster, Kentucky
    Silly chickens!

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Lol, They could have gotten out of the run if they wanted, but they decided to hide right above you nose instead. They might decide to roost up there every night. I'm glad they are getting along so well.

4. Carpenter

Carpenter Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    I'm glad your story had a pleasant conclusion. Your silkies will not be able to roost at 6 ft. They don't have the flight feathers necessary to do so.

5. kvanconant

Feb 10, 2014
    The chickens are pretty funny lol.
    We are very glad the little Silkies don't get picked on. If any chickens were to get picked on the mean chicken will have to go.

I have a little roost about 1 1/2 feet tall for the Silkies.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    How cute!! They sure had you fooled! [​IMG]

7. kvanconant

Feb 10, 2014
    Yes they did lol.
    I have three roosts they can roost on and now all five big chickens roost in the same roost...
    They are some funny chickens lol.

8. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

They know where they want to roost! [​IMG] Good thing they stayed put!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by