Thought I had Indian Runner ducklings but I am not sure. (Question Answered March 13, 2013)

Oh Wow! They are getting to be real big!! Are they still friendly?
For the most part, they are less scared of everything but still go nuts when I pick them up to put them in the pool. Once they realize they are heading that way they stop scratching their feet on my arm. I have to walk real slow around them and talk gently to them as I go around the chicken yard. If I don't they freak out and run into the coop quacking away. The won't let me pet them still. But they tolerate me as long as I don't invade their personal space. I try not to unless I am putting them in the pool for a swim. They know now how to get in there on their own but I like to put them in it first thing in the morning.

The ducks and the baby chicks have spent the last two days mostly unsupervised in the whole chicken area with the Ladies. I check on them every couple of hours. Their coop doors stay open so they can all run in their coops or whoevers if they need to hide or need to feel safe. I feel alright with them unsupervised now because the older girls won't let the cats go after anyone. They beat up on the one cat that does get tempted for chicken supper every once in a while. My other outdoor cat could care less about the birds. It just likes drinking out of the duck pool for some reason. The ducks still aren't sure how to take that.

Super cute!
smile.png

They should be quacking by now if they're females. Mine are (for the most part- *sometimes* they still throw a peep or so in there) and they look to be the same age based on feathering.
Females will be loud with a distinct quack and males will have a raspy squeak of sorts. If you're still unsure we could tell you what you have if you get a video of them makin' some noise
wink.png

Super cute!
smile.png

They should be quacking by now if they're females. Mine are (for the most part- *sometimes* they still throw a peep or so in there) and they look to be the same age based on feathering.
Females will be loud with a distinct quack and males will have a raspy squeak of sorts. If you're still unsure we could tell you what you have if you get a video of them makin' some noise
wink.png
Gabby is really talkative. That is how she got her name. She will let out real quacks. The other duck is much quieter and when it does quack it is not as deep or loud as Gabby's. Gabby quacks while diving underwater and comes up still quacking.
lau.gif

I will see if I can get some video of them tomorrow. I can always use an updated duck video.
smile.png

Last edited:
Look like runners to me. I have some that seem to be the same age. Upright is the key word. My runners will sit on our laps like puppies and are the best pets. W have a few older ones too and couldn't be happier. Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom