Thought I was getting pure White Rocks....but???

Based on the size of the spurs, they are much older than 1 1/2 yrs as well. I would guess 2-3 years on that roo from my experience with spur growth - about an inch a year.

Cochin mix for sure, but the length of that spur suggest's well over 2 yr's old.

AL

As much as I hate to say it, I believe they are Brahma X as well. True, the comb is not a true pea and doesn't appear to be a true pea x single either, but there is a pea-combed breed somewhere in their lineage. The height of the comb off the corona just does not seem to be a pure single bird.

As for the white legs, with age, even with the males, the legs lighten up. I do not see Langshan in the birds anywhere.

White Langshans SHOULD have blue/slate legs, but white legs do SOMETIMES pop up. When breeding for show, the white legged birds should not be used in a breeding program.

That does look like a pea comb like on some mixed pea comb- single comb birds. When a bird is pure for a pea comb, they have the distinct look, in crosses/mixes with single combs, pea comb is dominant but will vary quite a lot in appearance, including some that will seem to have "points" on top like this rooster. In the newer pic, it sort of looks like hen may have a pea comb too, but too fuzzy to see clearly.

If you hatch their eggs, look at the combs on day old chicks. Pea combs will show up either as flat area, a single ridge with no points, or a triple row. Single comb show as miniature single combs.

I agree, due to the size of rooster spur, he is likely 2 yrs or more. and agree on amazing white-ness of that rooster. Not that easy to get roosters that don't get yellowing on the hackles and saddles.

Quote:
Yep that rooster is over 3 years,

Dont pull the outer spur off,that like pulling ur finger nail off, would be very tender. Right way is to cut ,them part way off.

Gamefowl spur get sharp, and you cut off all but about 1/2 in. Saw or grind off.

Last edited:
the thing on the roos foot is a spur. all roos get them, they develop over time, my silkie roo is 1yr and his are less than half grown. your roos spurs are full grown, i'd say yours aprox. 3yrs. (i would say that they are WR crossed with brahma.

Last edited:
Yeah thats a HUGE spur! I've never had roos in the past, never wanted them so I just kept the hens. Now that I keep a few roos for breeding, my oldest roos are only 7 months old and the spurs are just nubs. I've just never seen anything like it before and didn't realize they got soooo big!!! It's strange though because his other spur is just a nub? They must've cut one and not the other or it got ripped off somehow. All I know is that it is scary looking!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
wow! so should I keep my other roos spurs trimmed? They are free ranged and soon to be in a huge enclosed pen. These particular chickens are going to be gone soon so I am not even going to try and do his spur. He is VERY flighty too. When I give them water they fly and jump around bouncing off things, almost killing themselves
idunno.gif

I don't dare let them free range....I'll never catch them again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom