Thought I was getting pure White Rocks....but???

Quote:
They are a mix (not pure). A White Langshan would have Slate Blue legs and your rooster has Whitish Pink legs and your hen looks to have Yellow legs..
I think that they are a Rock/ Langshan cross..

Chris

Thanks! I don't know how all that genetic stuff works. I leave it to the pros at BYC to help me
smile.png
Wonder if they are worth keeping around for breeding? Selling eggs or chicks? Can't use them in my project so either they go, or I use them for breeding. Probably not worth it though....what do ya think?

Quote:
Thats what I thought when I first took them out of the box and into the coop this morning! My mouth dropped and then after I stared and took pics for an hour....I came running for the computer to find out what the heck it was!!! I never seen anything like it before, but I'm still kind of a rookie with alot of things! Its probably a good 3" at least, if not 4"...but only on one of his feet? The other spur is just a nub....lol Who knows??
idunno.gif

Quote:
Thats what I thought when I first took them out of the box and into the coop this morning! My mouth dropped and then after I stared and took pics for an hour....I came running for the computer to find out what the heck it was!!! I never seen anything like it before, but I'm still kind of a rookie with alot of things! Its probably a good 3" at least, if not 4"...but only on one of his feet? The other spur is just a nub....lol Who knows??
idunno.gif

Hold that roo with a towel wrapped around him to keep him calm and get a pair of pliers. Slowly twist at the butt end of the spur-that sucker should come off with a little hard twist-it will be a nub and soft-but will harden in time. ouch I cant imagine getting wacked by that guy-Theres lots of great videos on Utube to do it-very easy and worth it

Rooster has pea comb. Langshans and rocks don't have that. Due to that and shortness of the legs and really thick looking neck(feathers), my guess would have been mixed Cochin(standard cochins can be really huge.. and have a lot of tail feathers) and Easter egger or Ameraucana(for the pea comb plus those tend to have thick looking necks).

But, don't think anybody will ever know for sure. Could be a Brahma mix with Rock or white Orpington bred with a white mutt, or ?? They have the kind of white I usually associate with recessive white, which is what cochins and many white EE or Amers have.. white cochin x white EE would throw all white chicks.. Unless you bred them and kept pea combed daughters and they laid colored eggs then you know they had EE or Amer in them for sure. (pea comb is usually strongly linked with the gene for colored eggs)

Last edited:
Quote:
I sorry that rooster doesn't have a pea comb.. It look like a straight comb. Not good points may have had frost bite but a straight comb. (looks to have 5 rounded points)

Chris

Yes, the rooster and all of the hens have straight comb. Also they seem to have yellow legs, but theres pink in it too??? Maybe because of the mites, it turned pinkish white? I believe its yellow under all of that 'stuff' but I could be wrong. Its hard to tell.

OK. In that pic it looks like he has a pea comb variant that shows up in pea and single comb cross. Don't see 5 points in that pic.. only see 3 at the most. Pea comb crosses can get something that look like points on the top except they are more like bumps than points. It's also the overall shape and size of the comb that make me think it is pea.

Closer up pic of just his head?

Ok heres a pic of his head and a pic of one of the hens. I was trying to get a pic of how fluffy her butt was, but she wouldn't hold still.
26155_dscf3220.jpg

26155_dscf3224.jpg

Back
Top Bottom