Thought she had cocci now she can't walk! Help!

Green poop can be an indication of a number of things.  Not eating enough (starvation), bacterial infection or diseases like Marek's are a few.

Can you take a sample to the vet to rule out worms?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

Buff Orpingtons are very sweet,  I hope you are able to find some answers and she gets better soon.

She isn't vaccinated. And she isn't wormed but I do have dewormer. I'm just scared dewormer will ravage her already frail system. Should I just do it? Even if she could be starving?

Get her on some balanced poultry feed. As suggested earlier you can give her chick starter, all flock/flock raiser or give her her normal feed. Try it wet with a little yogurt and chopped egg mixed in. Check to make sure the feed you have isn't stale, out of date or rancid.

If her problem is due to worm overload, then worming her would most likely help. What type of worming medication do you have?
Most vets will perform a fecal float test even if they don't treat chickens - testing for worms, cocci and bacterial infection would be a good idea to see if any of these is her problem.

She won't eat anything but meal worms and cat treats right now. I'll try to get a feed with more protien today. Along with vitamins and I'll dewormed her.
Still not standing but eating a little and drinking.
I'll call the vet too. Really just want her to start eating some foods. Made her rice and spinach in bone broth, mixed in her feed and some yogurt, and she won't touch it... through in some meal worms and cat treats and she's pecking around lol
Better than not eating at all.
Hoping she gets her energy back up! :(

Hi Jessica

I'm sorry your hen is sick.
Can you post some photos of her poop?
How does her abdomen feel - any swelling, bloat, feeling like fluid filled?
When was the last time she laid an egg - was it normal?
Is her crop emptying overnight?

I encourage you to seek vet care or at least take a fecal sample for testing of worms, cocci and bacterial infection.

If all she has been eating for weeks is worms, cheese and eggs then she is most likely deficient in the nutrition department.  Offer some all flock/flock raiser type feed - these can usually be found at your local feed store (something like Purina Flock Raiser 20% protein).   Add some poultry vitamins to her water - Poultry Nutri-Drench is good  (put in the water or direct dose her at 1ml per 3lbs).   Worms, eggs and a very small amount of cheese are fine as treats or add in to her normal feed.   Some chickens like their feed wet, so you can wet the crumbles, add a small amount of yogurt and egg to her feed to see if she will eat.  Give her a small amount of fresh chopped greens (Kale, Mustard greens) or chopped fruit (apple/grapes) as a treat.  Be sure to make poultry grit available (crushed granite) this will help her grind/digest food.  Also since she is of laying age offer some oyster shell free choice.

I understand you were initially concerned that she may have Cocci.  Fecal testing can rule that out.

I see that you have her under a heat lamp.  If she is inside, she may not need the extra heat.  A sick chicken does fairly well at 75-80F.  She's fully feathered, so check your temperature to make sure she is not too hot.

Keeping her hydrated is important.  That's good that she is drinking.  I know you are doing everything you can to help her, you're doing good, so don't get frustrated :hugs

Let us know how she's doing.

I also have a sick chicken and it sounds very similar to yours just very lethargic and she just tries to stand up she has to use her wings and will tip over. she will drink if I hold the cup to her mouth but won't on her own I don't feel an egg so I don't believe she's egg bound I just started giving her vitamins so we will see but I'm also concerned about her feet they look like they could be swollen.

Went ahead and through in some kitten food I have for my old cat. It's 40% protien so that could tide her over till I can get her checked out later.

UPDATE: I have been syringe feeding her several times a day and she is finally standing and walking a little today! She still won't eat her chicken feed but she's super into lettuce, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I got her some Pedia light today and im just hoping she will finally start eating normally again soon. Any tips on increasing her appetite appreciated!
Thanks for all your comments and concerns,
Jessica

Back
Top Bottom