Nov 2, 2018
After designing and implementing a clean water system, I've also been advised to add about 1/2 tablespoon of regular bleach per 5 gallon bucket of drinking water. The purpose is to sanitize the system out as it waters. Sounds like a pretty good idea to me. Does anyone have any reason why this isn't a good idea? I'm planning to alternate the bleach treatment with vinegar to prevent scale buildup in the system.

I have never used bleach in drinking water and do not know of it’s safety. Who recommended this? I just use ACV once weekly and fresh water the rest of the week. Much safer.

My father and a family friend, both of whom have raised chickens their entire lives. I figure it's safe since it can't be any more chlorinated than pool water, but I digress. I'm still pretty new to raising chickens.

I actually read something recently when fermenting feed that if using tap water should leave out a day before mixing with feed for fermenting to allow chlorination to dissipate as healthier for the birds.

I actually read something recently when fermenting feed that if using tap water should leave out a day before mixing with feed for fermenting to allow chlorination to dissipate as healthier for the birds.

It takes longer for the ferment to get going with "city" water, but it's certainly safe to drink straight out of the tap, the water treatment plant makes sure of that ;)

"City" water already has bleach in it. They add it at the water treatment plant before it ever gets to you. I'm on a well and have great water. Have never added bleach or ACV to my chickens waterer, but it stays clean because I keep some pieces of copper in the waterer all the time. Copper is a natural biocide which will not harm chickens. Of course, a little bleach in the water will not harm chickens, either.

Back
Top Bottom