Thoughts on eggs

I've asked that question over & over & over .... You can search that question here too ... Then theres the wash or unwashed issue. You may want to repost in the Managing Your Flock forum IF you don't get many responses here.

I've read eggs can stay out on the counter for months. I've read other refrigerate. Some wash before refrigerating, other refrigerate without washing. I've read wash under warm water, cold make the egg contract drawing in any bacteria/contaminates on the shell into the egg. Have read every State has it's own regulations, especially if you sell eggs.

I have 4 BOs that are great layers, I collect daily store in an egg carton until it's full. Then I store in the frig and prior to using I wash under tap water. Lucky me my girls lay clean eggs. I was in a PANIC when I read they should be washed under warm water before stored in the frig. A friend of mine works at the Dept of Ag says she's asked around, told that's the way one of the lady's do it there.

I do what you do. Collect, toss unwashed eggs in a carton on the counter. Carton full...date the outside of the carton with Born On Dates. Place in the fridge. Wash when used with warm tap water. Rotate the stock in the fridge. FIFO method. (First In, First Out for you non accounting types ;) )

When my little ladies first started laying I searched and searched for answers to the very question the OP is asking. Information over-load...20 different combination of answers. lol Eggs don't last very long around here anyway...so I'm not really concerned about old eggies.

I collect them for several days and only wash the dirty eggs with bit of dish soap. I put them into the fridge after that.

I have never had a rotten egg that way both growing up with them and now

Just to add a bit of probably useless information from my personal ongoing experiment to see how long an egg can maintain acceptable quality (edible) without freezing (I know, I need a life) ...

40 fresh eggs stored in an airtight container as described below... 8 months and counting.

16 originally clean eggs stored unwashed, refrigerated, using 1 per month for the past 8 months, and checking for quality side by side against a fresh egg of 1 week or less in age.
FYI, the 8 month old egg was noticeably "thicker" but totally acceptable and tasty.

24 original eggs washed clean, coated with mineral oil, refrigerated, using 1 per month for the past 8 months, and checking for quality side by side against a fresh egg of 1 week or less in age.
FYI, the 8 month old egg was slightly "thicker", but totally acceptable and tasty.

:hmm

Just to add a bit of probably useless information from my personal ongoing experiment to see how long an egg can maintain acceptable quality (edible) without freezing (I know, I need a life) ...

40 fresh eggs stored in an airtight container as described below... 8 months and counting.

16 originally clean eggs stored unwashed, refrigerated, using 1 per month for the past 8 months, and checking for quality side by side against a fresh egg of 1 week or less in age.
FYI, the 8 month old egg was noticeably "thicker" but totally acceptable and tasty.

24 original eggs washed clean, coated with mineral oil, refrigerated, using 1 per month for the past 8 months, and checking for quality side by side against a fresh egg of 1 week or less in age.
FYI, the 8 month old egg was slightly "thicker", but totally acceptable and tasty.

What about unwashed, sitting on the counter? :-D let us know in another 8 months haha

I think this is a great experiment....kudos to you for sticking it out.
This kinda of endeavor can be a great part of a life, despite what others may say. <thumbsup>

What about unwashed, sitting on the counter? :-D let us know in another 8 months haha
Maybe you should conduct the unwashed, non refrigerated egg experiment. ;) Let us know how it works out.

I think this is a great experiment....kudos to you for sticking it out.
This kinda of endeavor can be a great part of a life, despite what others may say. <thumbsup>

Maybe you should conduct the unwashed, non refrigerated egg experiment. ;) Let us know how it works out.

:)

Too many variables with fresh eggs. Regardless of being washed and refrigerated, which is required in the United States, or unwashed and not refrigerated as required in many European nations, eggs should be acceptable for several weeks once laid.

Just ask anyone of the millions living in Europe... :hmm

My curiosity focused on LONG TERM storage. A sort of doomsday scenario. My research leads me to believe there were two long term solutions. My experiment is to verify my intuition... Just reading this... I really do need to get a life... :(

Back
Top Bottom