Thoughts on ordering from Murray McMurray?

Molliep2

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2018
I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experiences ordering started pullets from Murray McMurray hatchery? Thanks!

All of my current chickens are from Murray McMurray. The first batch came out great and all survived; they came in August. The batch I just got, however, I lost 10 chicks in the first 4 days; they came in March. I would suggest ordering from Murray McMurray between the months of May and August when the weather is nice. ----This is for baby chicks. Started pullets should be more cold hardy, but not as many choices in variety.----

I ordered 5 week old EE’s from them last year and have been disappointed. Of the 7, 3 have had genetic crop issues (2 died) and one died of ovarian cancer. And there was very little variety in feather color, which is less important to me. Maybe it was a glitch, maybe a coincidence. I went with day olds from Cackle this year. Hopefully they’ll be healthier.

Also, even though MM is based in Iowa, the pullets came from a farm in Texas.

Two years ago I obtained my flock from Murray McMurray. I wanted a rooster so I ordered a Columbian Wyandotte Roo. He was deformed with a cross beak. They credited me the $2.76 for him. No refunds, just a credit. I also got a Dominique rooster which was part of my 3 barred rock hens?! Everyone makes mistakes, so I wasn't too upset. Margaret became Cody! I was not happy and Cody was a bad, bad, mean horrible rooster. All my flock except 2 hens were killed by bears. This January I ordered again. I only got two white giants and one died. Anyway this time I ordered NO roosters and I ended up with three, three!! Not happy about this at all and probably won't use Murray again. I lost 4 chicks too, I think because our phone was not working and the mail lady had to bring them to the house with the mail. An extra 7 hours for the chicks. (We are in the boonies, no cell service at all.) That's my story. :) :( :)

My experience with Murray McMurry was a pleasant one, Ordered a mixed flock of 15 chicks.All survived and grew to 4 months before we lost one. Found her on the floor one morning when I went out to let them out of the coop. I also culled a feather picker whom we couldn't break so I now have 13 left, they are listed in my signature as you will see

I got chicks from them when I lived in Wis. and out of 11 one was a male (a rhode island red and nasty as heck). Pretty crappy odds, but then I hand picked 4 chicks from the local hardware store (who swore they were all females) and one was a male. I'm expanding the coop and getting 25 +/- chicks soon, and have the breeds narrowed down. I don't think I'll order from Murray again, and in a perfect world would find local breeders, which I'll look for first. There's no way to tell where any online retailer's stock comes from, so I'm trying locally grown first :)

Back
Top Bottom