Thoughts on Purina feeds?

I use all fl
I currently use Green Mountain Feeds for my flock and I think I will continue to, but just wanna know what people think of purina feeds. Why do you like it? Why don't you like it?
i use flock raiser for my roosters and older chickens and to transfer my babies to adult feed it a great feed and safe ! My chickens love it

I am by no way an eggspert on chickens and feed since I am first year chicken mom. I’m still trying to figure out their likes and dislikes. I am not a Purina fan when it comes to dog and cat food. I did however buy their starter feed and first bag of layer feed of Purina feed. They went through it like nothing. As they got older I switched to Dumor and they didn’t like it. ( note that all feed was crumbles). I now opened a new bag of Dr Pol’s feed which are pearls. I guess I will see if they eat it. If not, I plan on going back to Purina Layer feed. But I have joined this sight to learn from other owners and get advice too. I too had concerns about Purina but may switch back if they don’t eat anything else.

Chickens hate change, and new feed can be rejected just because it's new to them. However, i think that Purina Mills has done a good job with their chicken feeds, and it seems to me that Dumor is cheaper for a reason.
But something fresh!
I wouldn't try Dr. Pol's feed myself.
Mary
Do tell about Dr Pol. I’m not one to buy something because someone endorses it, but thought because it was vet made/recommended it might be good. Again trying to find what fits best for them. I had gone with Dumor because they were out of Purina at the time. Same when I went back this time hence I went with Dr Pol. But I’m interested to know your thoughts on his feed

I straight up had no idea Dr Pol had animal feed in his name.

Looked it up.

I prefer to feed a higher protein so will stick to what I use now.
I did see his feed is low protein. If they don’t eat this I’ll probably go back to purina with a higher protein. Thanks for heads up

I'm still interested with what people are doing with there feed that there chickens refuse to eat. Do you keep it till it's rancid? Do you compost it? Do you give it to someone? Do you try to return it to the store?

I'm still interested with what people are doing with there feed that there chickens refuse to eat. Do you keep it till it's rancid? Do you compost it? Do you give it to someone? Do you try to return it to the store?

I would not wait til it was rancid. I would offer it in the mornings as a wet mash.
A wet mash is simply feed with enough water added to make a cooked oatmeal consistency mash.

If they still refused to eat it and I had no one else that wanted it I would throw it out.

In a compost pile mice may find it extra nummy and increase their numbers. 😳

Back
Top Bottom