Thoughts on roosters(can they be freindly?) show me your lap rooster

Jul 24, 2020
NY
so I recently ended up with an accident rooster named Gizmo he is sweet so far at 4 or 5 months and starting to crow I am just nervous as I am a fairly new chicken keeper and have been told by many people that there is no such thing as a freindly rooster . My hens are all trained very well they can do tricks and are all sweet and sociable with people so maybe I can keep him friendly he does seem very submissive I just can't stand the thought of getting rid of this handsome boy. (pics of your freindly roosters are welcome)
1690743081665.png
1690744543290.png

Last edited:
Give him a chance. There are lots of good cockerels/roosters. Have a Plan B in mind in case he becomes aggressive.
i have been told a few times that there is no such thing as a friendly rooster is this false information i am willing to give him a chance with a little bit of help of course

During 20+ years of chicken-keeping, I’ve had two roosters on the aggressive side…. an overly-protective Buff Orpington (that one surprised me) and a RIR/BR mix the same way. I sold both to someone looking for roosters with that disposition to look after their free range flock. I actually have a Bachelor coop to house my roosters and 2 male turkeys together. It works very well for me. Maybe a bit silly to some people that I don’t get rid of my roosters, but they’re good- tempered, and I’m attached. 🙂

thanks everyone gizmo will be staying for now still open to thoughts on roosters i would also be interested in pics of your friendly roosters

A rooster that, as a chick, imprinted on and was raised by humans is more likely to turn aggressive than one who imprints on and is raised by a hen. My hen raised boys have been perfect gentlemen. I think imprinting is the key. It establishes their foundation, their identity. Maybe some people know how to properly raise a cockerel, I don’t.

Back
Top Bottom