Thoughts on spraying Listerine on duck eggs before setting?

Corbdee

Duckies!
Aug 1, 2020
Middle of somewhere
Hello. I’ve been trying to figure out why my last hatch (with squeaky) was such a bad hatch. Only 3 hatched out of 20 and I suspect it was because of shrink wrapping even though I was extra careful (and I hardly ever cause shrink wrapping). But I’m just wondering for future notice as well. What’s everyone’s opinion on spraying listerine over the eggs 12 hours before putting them in the incubator? I tried that last time and they all developed perfectly, up until day 26. After day 26, all but 3 died.

on a different note, I’m also wondering about spraying and cooling. I’ve never done it before actually, even though I frequently hatch. Is it necessary?
Thanks.

You can wash the eggs with a weak bleach solution before setting the eggs.

Add one tablespoon (1.8 ml) of bleach per gallon (3.8 L) of water. Use a much weaker solution for items that come into contact with food than you would for other surfaces. One or two teaspoons (5-10 ml) to one tablespoon (14.8 ml) per gallon (3.8 L) of water is the best ratio.

Cooling and spraying are good for Duck eggs. It sounds counterintuitive but most cases of shrink wrap in hatching eggs comes from poor development. The most common cause of this is temperature being off.

For the next hatch, calibrate your thermometers and verify that the incubator is holding the correct temperature.

And use the cooling and spraying technique

Back
Top Bottom