1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

thoughts on this chick pen?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jakoda, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I found this online and am wondering what others thing about using it as a baby chick brooder. The size I am looking at is XL, which would be 47long x 23 wide x 20 H,, I figured bigger is better since I don't want them to outgrow houses, I'm getting day old chicks and they'll probably be in the house for the first month/two..
    Thanks for input:)
    http://www.petsbycsn.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-Rabbit-Cage-RB-Blue-AEC1363.html
    Diane

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

How many chicks?

and what breed- some breeds at two weeks this would seem small, some this would be huge.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm thinking it'll work as long as you are not doing too many chicks. Maybe no more than 5 or 6. They grow incredibly fast.
    I like something a little taller so I can put roosts in, and they can hop up onto it.
    I bought a similar sized dog crate at BigLots for less and it doubles as the isolation/ hospital cage if I need it.

Imp- Good luck

4. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I've ordered 8, 2 of each, astorlorps, speck sussex, buff orpingtons and silver wyandottes.
    They won't be here until the first week of June, which by then, it's going to be really warm here in CT (today was 80's!) I do have a parrot cage, that is pretty tall, so if for some reason the height on this isn't 'good' when they are larger I suppose I could put them in that.. I figure they will be inside for about 8 weeks?

I also have dog crates , (I have aussies and gsds),,but couldn't use that until they were older as the spacing would be to big (they could escape unless I lined it with something.

I am assuming tho, this would be ok for atleast maybe 4 weeks?? I can put a roost in it, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks I LOVE this site! So much great info:))
    Diane

5. Drover

Drover Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Hi there!
    Used to have an aussie ( great dogs by the way) and now I use his old kennel for a brooder. I usueally cut up pieces of cardboard and line around the bottom so the chicks cant get out. It works nice because you can remove the pan on the bottom to clean.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by