Thoughts on this hen?

The re-homed chicken should most definitely be isolated from any other flock for a couple of weeks. If it is going to be an only, then became sick, the new home would have a contaminated coop. Thank you for full disclosure to any new chicken people.

As far as breed, she looks like a red sex link, which comes under many names, golden comet, cinnamon queen, etc. I would tell the person where the rehomed bird is going and let them decide whether to quarantine at their place, or have you do it. Regardless, I would always quarantine a new bird for a minimum of 4 weeks, no matter where it came from, just the sensible thing to do. If you have never had a known health issue in your flock, like a respiratory disease, LL, Marek's, etc. then I would lean towards this being a reproductive issue at her age. I've had cancers that obvious symptoms came up quickly and the bird passed quickly, and some that lived much longer, same with infections. If/when she passes I would recommend a necropsy, then you will know for sure.

Morning update - kept her in the garage overnight in a box with a towel. I figured she wasn't going to move much and was right. She's still alive but ate almost nothing yesterday. She pecked some grass and had a few sips of water but that's it. Saw her poop this morning and it's pure water with some green (probably the grass). I couldn't find evidence of her pooping at all yesterday.

If she doesn't eat again today and is still lethargic tomorrow we may put her out of her misery. The rest of the flock thank goodness is still fine.

Back
Top Bottom