Thoughts on what breed this is?

Tmfisher1

Hatching
Sep 9, 2019
Hi everyone - I am new here. I dont breed ducks, rather I live adjacent to the Hudson River and am concerned that someone dumped some backyard ducks in the river. I am in NJ and mainly there are just mallard ducks and canadian geese. But about a month ago I saw four ducks that just didnt look like they were native species. I caught one - what we believe is a Swedish Blue (in the second pic) - and brought it to the Wild Bird Fund in NYC who will be finding a good home in a sanctuary for him. There are three light beige ones left that do not look like mallards that I am concerned may be backyard ducks and would not survive the winter. Please let me know any thoughts you have - the closest I came was a Yellow Swedish. But maybe it is wild and is perfectly suited outdoors. Thank you for your responses. Tiffanie
IMG_4573.jpg
IMG_4368.jpg
3B3EADFF-77C3-404A-98AB-A16D164943FB.jpeg

Hi everyone - I am new here. I dont breed ducks, rather I live adjacent to the Hudson River and am concerned that someone dumped some backyard ducks in the river. I am in NJ and mainly there are just mallard ducks and canadian geese. But about a month ago I saw four ducks that just didnt look like they were native species. I caught one - what we believe is a Swedish Blue (in the second pic) - and brought it to the Wild Bird Fund in NYC who will be finding a good home in a sanctuary for him. There are three light beige ones left that do not look like mallards that I am concerned may be backyard ducks and would not survive the winter. Please let me know any thoughts you have - the closest I came was a Yellow Swedish. But maybe it is wild and is perfectly suited outdoors. Thank you for your responses. Tiffanie
View attachment 1903417 View attachment 1903426 View attachment 1903418
Good for you for trying to rescue them!
I can’t imagine how anyone could abandon ducks like that, but sadly I fear it happens often.

View attachment 1903417 View attachment 1903426 View attachment 1903418
It's very sweet of you to take interest in their well-being. All appear to be crosses. Some look to have mallard in them or call duck. The white bibbed duck could very likely have Swedish in him but does not look like a pure bred Swedish.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom