Thoughts on what these chicks may be??

Apr 2, 2024
Hi there! Looking for any thoughts on breed or sex. I bought these babes from a local feed store who gets them from a local farmer. The kid at the feed store wasn’t sure but thought a couple may be Rhode Island Reds. Appreciate any thoughts!

Attachments

• 204DEF9E-E9A5-4AA6-8A45-F32C7456C90B.jpeg
    204DEF9E-E9A5-4AA6-8A45-F32C7456C90B.jpeg
    661.8 KB · Views: 32
  • F3F3CE5E-CE78-4E3D-8CCF-9A6C5B9F18EA.jpeg
    F3F3CE5E-CE78-4E3D-8CCF-9A6C5B9F18EA.jpeg
    818 KB · Views: 17
I see some red sex links in there. They are the ones with reddish and yellow down and white wings. Red sex links generally are sold with brand names such as Golden Comet.

The white ones with black spots and black skin could be Smokey Pearls or Moonbeams. I think there is another similar brand name (these also are hybrids) but I can't think of it atm.

There are some stripe backed ones that could be brown Leghorns or Welsumers, if the have yellow legs, or Easter eggers if they have green legs. Also some stripe backed ones that look small, so could be black breasted red old English game bantams.

Individual pictures with natural lighting could help, but time will surely tell the tale in any case.

I see some red sex links in there. They are the ones with reddish and yellow down and white wings. Red sex links generally are sold with brand names such as Golden Comet.
I agree, unless the farmer has been breeding his own chicks from Red Sexlinks backcrossed to Rhode Island Red or something like that. If that happened, they could be good layers, but would not be actual sexlinks (not color-sexable.)

I bought these babes from a local feed store who gets them from a local farmer. The kid at the feed store wasn’t sure but thought a couple may be Rhode Island Reds.
Rhode Island Reds are mostly red, but they grow some black wing feathers and tail feathers, and they have yellow legs. I don't think I see any Rhode Island Reds in your photo. Some are too stripey (chipmunk stripes), some have the wrong color wing feathers (white wing feathers), and some have wrong-colored feet and faces (dark feet and grayish faces).

Back
Top Bottom