Thoughts please - Blister on Hen Foot

ChickieMomaNEPA

Chirping
Sep 20, 2021
Hey all!!
Wanted to know if anyone had dealt with blisters on a chicken foot? It’s fluid filled like a human blister.
I believe it happened due to burning bc I have her isolated in a “hospital” stock tank since I’m treating her for sour crop, and there’s a brooder heater in there that I noticed she was roosting on, and it may have burned her feet causing the blisters. It’s not bumble foot, there’s no scabs or solids in it. Thoughts?!

Do I poke it with a needle and drain the fluid, then maybe put some new skin on it to close the puncture up or what? I don’t want it to burst on it own and lead to bigger issues.

Thanks in advance as always!

Hey all!!
Wanted to know if anyone had dealt with blisters on a chicken foot? It’s fluid filled like a human blister.
I believe it happened due to burning bc I have her isolated in a “hospital” stock tank since I’m treating her for sour crop, and there’s a brooder heater in there that I noticed she was roosting on, and it may have burned her feet causing the blisters. It’s not bumble foot, there’s no scabs or solids in it. Thoughts?!

Do I poke it with a needle and drain the fluid, then maybe put some new skin on it to close the puncture up or what? I don’t want it to burst on it own and lead to bigger issues.

Thanks in advance as always!
She’s a 5month old Australorp

No, do not lance the blister. As someone who gets lots of blisters, I can tell you blisters are about a number two in pain level unpopped, and go up to a ten if popped. The fluid in a blister is very helpful while new skin grows.

If you have to protect it from dirt, place a none-stick gauze pad over the blister and wrap the foot with elastic Vetrap.

No, do not lance the blister. As someone who gets lots of blisters, I can tell you blisters are about a number two in pain level unpopped, and go up to a ten if popped. The fluid in a blister is very helpful while new skin grows.

If you have to protect it from dirt, place a none-stick gauze pad over the blister and wrap the foot with elastic Vetrap.
Thank you for the response! The skin around it is still pretty thick, so I don’t think I need to wrap it at the moment but will keep an eye on it. She’s not moving around as much as normal since I have her confined for the next few days or so.
Hope all is well!

Back
Top Bottom