Help needed! Multiple chicken issues…

Jstaz

Songster
8 Years
Feb 26, 2015
South Alabama
Suggestions needed. Found my chicken out in the yard. Not really eating or drinking. Lethargic not moving around much. Found the abdomen to be swollen and figured it was water belly or egg bound. Check the vent there’s no egg I’ve dealt with water belly before drained everything with no issue but this time no fluid is coming out in addition to all this her crop is also swollen, very squishy and sour so she seems to have sour crop and water belly. I’ve been doing the typical treatments for both, but I can’t seem to get any fluid off of her water belly any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    880.9 KB · Views: 38
She really looks swollen in her belly. Does it feel firm, squishy, or tight? Have you tried draining different spots? It sounds like it might be filled with egg masses or cancer instead of fluid. Hard to know for sure though. It is probably the reason her crop isn’t emptying. How does it feel, hard or soft and puffy? Is she pooping? What does it look like? I would still offer some scrambled egg and soft mushy feed with a lot of water.

She really looks swollen in her belly. Does it feel firm, squishy, or tight? Have you tried draining different spots? It sounds like it might be filled with egg masses or cancer instead of fluid. Hard to know for sure though. It is probably the reason her crop isn’t emptying. How does it feel, hard or soft and puffy? Is she pooping? What does it look like? I would still offer some scrambled egg and soft mushy feed with a lot of water.
So i was able to get fluid off the belly. Only did 20cc to prevent shock. Going to do more when I get off work. The belly is very soft/squishy. The fluid i drained was cloudy yellow/green. After the drain and crop massage and drain she stayed put in the isolation coop all night. This morning she was standing now. Poop is still a green diarrhea color. But she is drinking, crop is not as full as it was, water belly size reduced. My daughter is doing the crop massage while i am at work and trying to feed scrambled eggs.

Suggestions needed. Found my chicken out in the yard. Not really eating or drinking. Lethargic not moving around much. Found the abdomen to be swollen and figured it was water belly or egg bound. Check the vent there’s no egg I’ve dealt with water belly before drained everything with no issue but this time no fluid is coming out in addition to all this her crop is also swollen, very squishy and sour so she seems to have sour crop and water belly. I’ve been doing the typical treatments for both, but I can’t seem to get any fluid off of her water belly any suggestions?
I have had a chicken with something like this, I brought her inside and used a dropper with water by her beak and she would swallow some of it sometimes. I soaked with epsom salt, and after three soaks she was better and moving around I put her outside and she is good again, I hope this helps and I do recommend soaking her

So i was able to get fluid off the belly. Only did 20cc to prevent shock. Going to do more when I get off work. The belly is very soft/squishy. The fluid i drained was cloudy yellow/green. After the drain and crop massage and drain she stayed put in the isolation coop all night. This morning she was standing now. Poop is still a green diarrhea color. But she is drinking, crop is not as full as it was, water belly size reduced. My daughter is doing the crop massage while i am at work and trying to feed scrambled eggs.
How is she doing now? Has the fluid increased? Greenish fluid is higher concentration of bile, so more serious. Either way, ascites (or the reason for it) is eventually fatal. Let us know how she is getting along.

Back
Top Bottom