Thoughts?

I have a hen who is laying green eggs as if she is perhaps an olive egger, but other than the color of her egg she looks pretty much like a pure barred rock. Note the differences?

View attachment 3057367View attachment 3057373
her egg:
IMG_20220410_105937.jpg

I believe a barred rock would have yellow legs. She may be a mix with cuckoo maran and some other blue layer. Where did you get her?
Oh yeah, that is true, we have a pure barred that we got from tsc, she has the yellow legs, but when we compare her to this hen they look pretty much the same. Then again the one that is pure is only about 5 months old now. We also had a cuckoo maran once, don't they lay brown eggs though? She was handed over by a relative, but they're not sure where she came from. She's only about a year or two.

Oh yeah, that is true, we have a pure barred that we got from tsc, she has the yellow legs, but when we compare her to this hen they look pretty much the same. Then again the one that is pure is only about 5 months old now. We also had a cuckoo maran once, don't they lay brown eggs though? She was handed over by a relative, but they're not sure where she came from. She's only about a year or two.
Now that I remember, when we first got her she had yellow legs, didn't remember that until now, overtime they
just faded, kinda weird. If I had a picture from then I'd show it, but unfortunately I do not.

Yes, marans lay a dark brown egg but she may be cuckoo maran mixed with a blue egg layer. This combination would produce a bird that lays green eggs. But there are other mixes that could produce the same.

Yes, marans lay a dark brown egg but she may be cuckoo maran mixed with a blue egg layer. This combination would produce a bird that lays green eggs. But there are other mixes that could produce the same.
Ah, that may be the case, she does have more of a copper to her rather than a grey now that I think about it. Could that potentially be coming from the fact she may be mixed with a cuckoo?

Now that I remember, when we first got her she had yellow legs, didn't remember that until now, overtime they
just faded, kinda weird. If I had a picture from then I'd show it, but unfortunately I do not.
That’s normal. Carotenoids that cause the yellow pigmentation can be found in their diet and older birds (or ones that have used the carotenoids for their eggs) will have paler looking skin. They usually gain some of that pigmentation back when they molt or take a rest from laying.

That’s normal. Carotenoids that cause the yellow pigmentation can be found in their diet and older birds (or ones that have used the carotenoids for their eggs) will have paler looking skin. They usually gain some of that pigmentation back when they molt or take a rest from laying.
She's only two years old though? And she's already gone through her molt from last October.

Back
Top Bottom